- 4 years ago
- Wedding: March 2014
We are having a very short engagement (thanks, Army timing!) of just under two months, and by the time we found a photographer, we were on an even shorter timeline. We’ve signed a contract that includes an engagement session as well as day-off photos, and I’m excited to have some nice professional pics of us in non-wedding clothing.
That said, we’re down to the wire, timing-wise, if we want to get them done before the wedding (they won’t be READY before the wedding, obviously, but that’s okay as we obviously don’t need them for save the dates or anything). She’s fine with doing the session after the wedding if we prefer. The options right now are March 1st or 2nd (one week before the wedding) or March 15th (one week after).
The pros to doing it before the wedding: get it out of the way, have them be actual engagement photos, get a chance to interact with her a bit more before the wedding. Possible pro: I’m having a bahelorette party that weekend and I could get my hair professionally done that day for the pics and still look cute for going out after.
The cons: it has been a gross, wet, unpredictable, warm-then-cold-then warm winter here, and although it’s warming up now, the forecast is calling for snow showers the days leading up to the pre-wedding date option. Not enough snow to reliably be pretty snow pics, but enough snow to be miserable and wet and gray.
The pros of doing it after: one less thing to worry about before the wedding, weather will almost definitely be warmer and nicer by then.
The cons: They won’t technically be engagement photos (do we take off the rings and pretend, or just go ahead and make them… newlywed photos?), and we won’t get the chance to work with her pre-wedding day. Could possibly still be cold and wet, although less likely.
I keep going back and forth, but I really need to just bite the bullet and pick a date. Reassure me that outdoor late winter engagement photos won’t be bleak as hell? Tell me that I’m being silly and I should just put this off? I’ve thought about this so much I can no longer tell what’s a reasonable decision. Help!