(Closed) Engagement Ring Price Charts for the Bee (as of May 2013)

posted 4 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
437 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

@Arshim:  Well the bottom graph (ETA: the top one too, for that matter!) also isn’t equal price increments, so that will skew how the results look. Im surprised by the number of $30k< !! Would love to see those babies haha

Post # 4
3101 posts
Sugar bee

@Arshim:  How awesome!  You must be good at numbers!  I guess mine should have had more price groupings, but I included where the price fit into your budget, so there wasn’t any more room.  Very interesting how different they are.

Post # 5
569 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think the second graph is a better representation because it has more options for price points and a larger sample.  However I think the outliers could stand to be removed. 

Post # 6
6361 posts
Bee Keeper

I agree that the second graph has more info so the info is more reliable, but both are interesting!

The fact that the second one is bimodal is pretty cool! I’m not sure what to make of it. I think maybe it’s related to the fact that each category is not the same size.

I also notice both of them seem to get cut off prematurely to show the end of the high-priced tail… that is, the last category includes so many people that it’s not showing the slow taper that the beginning is.

So, it makes me wonder, what would a suitable highest bracket be, if we were trying to show the full picture with proportionate tails on both sides. $50k? $75k? More?! Do we have some celebrities or royalty lurking on the bee??? 🙂

Post # 7
7999 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

Holy smokes… that top graph says that the AVERAGE is $5-10K! That’s £3-6K!

**** me. America really is like a different world from where I’m standing!

Post # 8
163 posts
Blushing bee

I wonder if some of the data might be skewed by people putting what their appraisal said, as opposed to what they actually cost. A lot of people mistake the two as being the same

I’m right on the average (around $5,000), but I honestly didn’t expect a bimodial graph. Would’ve thought it would peak at around $3,000 with a normal distribution

Post # 10
3830 posts
Honey bee

@Rachel631:  is that considered a lot of money?

Post # 11
7999 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@TaurianDoll:  YES! That’s a flipping FORTUNE! The average pre tax, yearly wage in the UK is 24K. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen more than a handful of rings for sale that are inside the 3-6K price bracket! I went to a jeweller the other day, and only a very few of their most expensive rings cost that much. They’re the ones in the revolving display at the front of the shop window!

I don’t know anyone who spent more than about 1-2K on an e-ring. And I’ve never seen anyone wear anything approaching a 1 carat weight ring IRL. The largest any of my friends and family have is about a 0.6, I think. The couple I am thinking of are engineers. And I think my doctor friend has about a 0.6 as well.

Post # 12
3830 posts
Honey bee

@Rachel631:  this is so interesting to me! i don’t want to offend anyone in the UK when i travel there. and i know as soon as i open my mouth, everyone will know i’m american, but would you suggest i wear a smaller ring when traveling? or just my very small and plain white gold band? 

Post # 13
7999 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@TaurianDoll:  Wear whatever you like. Large jewellery isn’t offensive, really. Just surprising! It also depends on where you go on your travels. Larger rings are also more common amongst ethnic minorities, I think.

Post # 14
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Rachel631:  I know what you mean. I’m in Canada and big, expensive rings aren’t really the norm, for the most part, not that they don’t exist. From what I’ve read, expensive rings tends to be more of a US thing, as it is most common in other countries for women to have smaller rings or focus more on the quality/cut of the stone versus the carat weight.

Post # 16
7999 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@BabyCarat:  Absolutely. I think I have about a 0.4 (not really sure) but I do know that FI chose a flawless stone. It was the one thing he wanted me to have, which I thought was sweet. I would have been happy with much less!

@Arshim:  I’ve seen some of the wedding shows… US weddings look insane to me! So big, and so much food, and all those decorations. I mean, it’s fine, if you like that style, but it just seems very… almost alienating, in some ways… to me. What happened to being relaxed?

The topic ‘Engagement Ring Price Charts for the Bee (as of May 2013)’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors