(Closed) Engagement Rings – Family Stones & Stories

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Oh my goodness!!! What a wonderful, wonderful story…so full of heart…really shows you what marriage is supposed to be πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing!! Beautiful ring btw!

Post # 4
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

What a very beautiful story! What a fun thread!

My ring is a family ring as well (so is Mr.ND’s, his is his late grandfather’s band). My ring is my great-great aunt’s. My grandma inherited it when her aunt passed away. Since my grandma had her own set, she kept it in safekeeping. My grandma loved Mr.ND, they’d always tease me about running away together ;0) *she was a spitfire* This ring was one that her aunt had received from her husband after he saved up for a few years after their marriage (they were young) so it was her ‘special ring’ and only worn out for special occasions. 

In the year before we got engaged, my grandma became ill. She suffered a few strokes, and had ongoing illnesses from years of smoking. Since my father is not in my family’s life, Mr.ND talked to my mom and my grandparents. My grandma told him about this ring, and cried while she gave him her blessing. He is so sweet, and he planned a huge surprise proposal on the beach where we met with all of our friends and family that could be there. He even arranged to get my grandma and grandpa out there even though she’d just had another surgery and was supposed to stay home. It was amazing and so special. 

My grandma passed a way less than a half a year after our engagement. Mr.ND knew how important she was to me, and she was important to him as well, and he made sure to have her present for our engagement because he knew it was likely that she wouldn’t be with us on the big day. I love that we have rings from both of our families, it makes me smile to think of the love that came before us and all of the love and support of our families. 

Post # 6
709 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

wow. beautiful. thanks for making me cry guys! haha.

Post # 7
1459 posts
Bumble bee

I can’t post pictures of mine yet as I gave it to SO about 5 weeks ago.  But mine was my grandmother’s as well.  My mother is an only child as am I, and my grandmother died probably about 20 years ago now I was very young 6 or so.  She was a great women and fought a battle against breast cancer for 16 years! She and my grandfather had a great marraige of 55 years before she passed away.  Her ring was collecting dust in a safety deposit box when I came up with the idea that I wanted that for my engagement ring.  I want SO and my marrairge to mirror what my wonderful grandparents had together.  They survived so many obsticles in their time together, the great depression, working several states away, etc.  I can’t wait until he gives that ring back to me. 

Post # 8
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I like this thread :). I got my stone from my grandmother on my mom’s side, who I always adored. My step-grandfather, who was the only one I knew, was happily married to her for at least 25 years after each of their first spouses died and he always treated me like his own grandchild. I was teased brutally as a child and she was one of the few people who could still make me feel like I was worth something. She died literally two weeks before my FH and I met after a long battle with brain and heart problems. His dad died young two months before he and I met of diabetes complications. We always joked that his dad and my grandmother conspired in the afterlife to get us together to make us feel better because my grandmother was always the type to brag about me to random strangers whether I liked it or not and FH really needed someone there for him after his dad died. We were only 17 and just happened to meet at our high school’s band camp that summer. We’ve been together ever since.

Now for the stone. My grandmother was always a huge jewelry person. I swear she had her weight in it. After she died, we thought he’d found all of her jewelry. My mom got both of her engagement rings and that was fine with me, they were pretty but looked better on her. Fast forward to when my grandfather died four years later. We were cleaning the house when we found a hidden drawer in the wooden bedframe (my grandfather was a carpenter and put it there). Inside was a massive amount of costume jewelry and a few real pieces. One of the real ones was a simple diamond in a pendant that I remember her wearing a lot.  My original engagement ring, a sapphire solitaire, had actually been stolen not long before and we were looking into getting a new ring. My mom and aunts decided that if I wanted it, I could use the stone in the pendant for my new ring and that’s exactly what I did. It felt like one last gift from her. Grandma always fantasized about my wedding since I was her only blood granddaughter and having something of hers as part of my wedding set almost makes it feel like she’s here with me during the planning process. Four years and I still miss her. I wish she could have met FH, at least my grandfather got to know him.

Post # 9
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Fiance gave me his grandmothers diamonds… I never got to meet her but her husband passed away  and left her with three sons 11 years and younger. She never remarried and raised her boys by herself and that to me is amazing. My Fiance loved her very much. I am very honored to wear her diamonds and I hope I can be Half the mother and grandmother she was. 

Post # 10
196 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

My ring is a combination of my grandmother engagement ring and the stones of my great-grandmothers dinner ring. We had all the stones harveted and reset into an custom design.

This is the results.

The topic ‘Engagement Rings – Family Stones & Stories’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors