(Closed) Envelope Etiquette-18 & over living with parents..?

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: What to write?
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Family : (6 votes)
    32 %
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith (next line) John Smith's Son : (6 votes)
    32 %
    Suck it up and send him his own : (7 votes)
    37 %
  • Post # 3
    811 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

Its not proper etiquette but I am sending invites to my cousins over 18 who still live at home (or some who don’t lol) with their parents. This is largely because it was such a PITA to get their addresses. I don’t think any of these cousins would be offended, but they are family.

I think in this case with your friend you really should send him his own invite.

Post # 4
    1829 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

Anyone over 18 definitely needs to be invited as an adult (i.e. named separately, not included as “Family” on the parents’ invite); he also should be invited with a plus one, unless you have scrapped all plus ones for your wedding.   If you are truly short on invitations, you could maybe address them  on the same envelope as:

Mr & Mrs John SmithMr John Smith’s Son and Date

Not perfect but just a suggestion!

EDIT:  I’m a bit confused – is he living at home with his parents?  If not, he definitely needs his own invitation sent to his address.   If so, I think you can get away with the option of naming them on the same invite.

Post # 5
    3267 posts
    Sugar bee

I’d send them their own invite as they are adults and deserve their own.

Post # 7
    566 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

@chickeybarr: If you are close enough with his parents to talk to them verbally, I would just send the invite to the parents and then let them know their son is welcome to attend if he wants. We are doing this for the many friends of our parents who have kids our age. We are not close to the kids but they are welcome if they’ll be in the area. The parents are being invited as our parents’ guests, so our parents are going to let them know they can bring their adult children if they want to come.

The topic ‘Envelope Etiquette-18 & over living with parents..?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors