- 5 years ago
- Wedding: October 2014 - Disney
I am in a very emotionally volatile place right now and I’m considering cancelling my big wedding. My only reservations is the money I’ve already put in which is several thousand I cant get back,
Here is the back story:
I chose disney for our big wedding due to the following reasons:
1. Logistics my family and his are spread everywhere, and we did not want to appear to make favorites.
2. A family history of celiac. This means massive dietary restrictions that I wasnt comfortable handing to many other vendors who just shoved them under the rug and wouldnt talk to us in detail until we signed.
3. I thought Disney was very good with customer service.
4. Memories, I wanted to have a few days creating memories with all our family together. This is a once in a lifetime event and gathering for us.
A month back Disney interactive announced the shut down of several online games. Now I was realistic that I probably couldn’t stop the shut down but I started a petition for my 10 year old daughter. I also tried several times to contact Disney directly to find they severed direct line communication for these games. We have 3 generations that played the game I tried to save. I generated 2700 signatures on that petition. I also sent emails, and actually fedexed a hard copy. I again was realistic I would probably not save the game but I had to try for my daughter. What I however did not expect was the following:
1. A shut down from Disney of direct communication for these sites.
2. A complete lack of communication with my emails that I sent in other locations.
3. A shut down of phone lines leading my mother to black hole voice mail boxes.
4. I have a signature confirmation of the petition being received but they have not responded in any way.
Now here is where I stand I understand things come and go. I understand companies will shut products down. However this product made a lot of money, and a lot of people were upset. I also understand Disney has that right to still shut it down. I however have a severe ethical issue with a company big or small shutting their customer out. I particularly have an issue with this when this company broadcasts renowned customer service. I find it absolutely insulting that no one has responded to any of the myriad of attempts to contact them over this from not only myself, but my mother, and others have had this issue as well. I find it disgusting that a company would treat their clientele in this manner and I have cut off purchasing product from companies for a lot less than this.
Right now I literally feel slapped in the face as someone who spent so much money on this company. I believed for years this company was different. I am sick to my stomach over the idea of supporting this company anymore after the way they treated so many mearly asking further questions. I literally want to vomit over the idea of my wedding making them close to 200k after everyone travels goes to the parks etc.
Here is my issue I’m about 5k into this wedding. That is 5k I cant get back if I pull the plug. My family is excited, his family is excited. However if I pull Disney looses about 200k in revenues which makes me feel bettter. If I pull I have a dress and cake toppers that will never be used. I will take that money and sink it into a house a year sooner rather than another wedding.
If you were in my situation would you pull the plug or go through with it? I am seriously beside myself in anger with this company.
Edited to add: I understand big companies can be jerks. I also understand how I feel may not be the way others would react. I am not asking for personal opinions on how I feel about this. My feelings of being betrayed are what they are. What I need is to know what to do with the money etc put into the wedding so far.