(Closed) etiquette & expectations: south-asian bee marrying korean boy :)

posted 7 years ago in Intercultural
Post # 3
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think it’s wonderful that you want to be knowledgeable about his traditions.

If you check bee blogs there are a couple that incorporated “traditional” Korean customs. I quote because if I remember correctly a lot of them were loose interpretations on the traditions.

Does he have any siblings/cousins you can talk to? Or do his parents speak English? I ask because I imagine like Chinese wedding customs it differs by region? And each family incorporate traditions a little differently. IE Lots of Chinese are Buddhist and many Chinese customs for a Buddhist is different than a Chinese custom for a Christina. My SIL is Buddhist and they pray and burn incense before the tea ceremony. But my family is Christian so for mine we did not pray. We eat good luck noodles before leaving the home but she does not.

Post # 5
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I agree, paebaek is a great way to include Korean culture in your wedding.

As for who pays for what, my understanding is that the bride’s family hosts the wedding and the groom’s family hosts paebaek. But I think now, most couples and families contributes based on their financial situation. For example, when my brother got married (he’s Korean and so is my SIL), my parents paid for the food and paebaek, her parents paid for the flowers, and my brother+SIL covered all other expenses. Also, My parents did prepare a hahm for my SIL…And they also bought her hanbok to wear for paebaek. I think in return, my SIL’s parents bought a suit for my brother.

Hope this helps!

Post # 7
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

@deebs: You can get a really nice hanbok for about $800-1000. Your Fiance might be including the red overcoat thing that you would wear over your hanbok during the paebaek ceremony, but people usually don’t buy that. It should be included in the paebaek rental. You can even considering renting a hanbok for $200-300.

Post # 9
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

The custom of the bride’s family paying for everything is similar in Chinese customs as well. But like many customs it’s a bit antiquated and depends on the family. Like for our wedding (my husband is American) we technically paid for our wedding ourselves with generous gifts from both families.

It really depends on how traditional his family is and with his parents gone you can be a lot looser with the “traditions”.

If you’re in NYC def check out Flushing Mall, any of the bridal shops in Chinatown or Flushing. I’m pretty positive you can rent a paebaek at them instead of buying one. I rented my QiPao from a bridal salon in Chinatown.

My makeup artist in Bayside Queens actually are Korean and they have a ton of different traditional Korean outfits for rental.

The topic ‘etiquette & expectations: south-asian bee marrying korean boy :)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors