(Closed) Europe on $3000?

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
3697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

We looked for months and found flights for $900 (each) to Frankfurt.  Didn’t like that city much, but we didn’t stay there long.  3 weeks in Europe ended up being WAY more than $3k, though.  You could do a long weekend, maybe?  Everything just plain costs more.  We found that stuff basically cost the same in Euro as it would in US Dollars, maybe a little more.  Problem is that we only got 70 cents in Euro for every Dollar. 

Stay out of Italy if you want to save money – we found Germany to be a little cheaper, but Amsterdam to be the most fun (duh). 

Honestly if we only had $3k I’d do an all-inclusive somewhere warm and beachy in the Carribean and start saving for a 5-year anniversary trip to Europe.

Post # 4
1668 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

We did a European cruise out of Barcelona, Spain stopping in Cannes, France; Rome, Florence, and Pisa, Italy for about $4000 for the cruise and airfare in April.  We took about $2000 in spending money and pretty much spent it all.  The exchange of the dollar to euro KILLED us.  We, too, wanted to do Italy and Greece but it was way out of our budget.  We used some gift money from the wedding for spending money.

ETA: It was 9 days.

Post # 5
14661 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Sorry, very unlikely chance imo.  Flights alone anywhere will run at least 700 (I think that gets you to Paris or London, maybe Madrid?)  I think you can pretty much cross eastern Europe out.  And then hotels are not cheap, at least 100-130 a night for budget (not hostels with shared bath).  And then food and activities.

I went to Madrid and Barcelona for about 1600 for 8 days a few years ago, but flights were only 450 RT, and I travelled with a gf, so we split hotel cost.

Post # 6
1830 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

@batbrain:  We are flying out to Iceland the day after our wedding on Monday January 21, for the flight, hotel package that included excursions for 5 nights 6 days we paid $3,479.37 for 2, this includes all taxes and fees. In addition to this we are budgeting for $1,500 dollars in spending money.

We booked through a highly rated travel agency called Nordic Visitor; www.nordicvisitor.com

The ideal time to travel to Iceland weather wise is in October, and your getting married in October.

Just something to think about. 🙂

Post # 7
9549 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

$3000 does not get you far for a Europe vacation. I would say to start looking for cheap airfare, because that is going to be your biggest cost. And go for countries that are cheaper. I’d avoid all of western Europe (UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Germany,) because most of these countries are quite expensive. You may have better luck in eastern Europe where prices tend to be less expensive (Poland, Hungary, Czech Repulblic, Slovakia). I, personally, recommend Budapest! Greece might be reasonable given their recent financial issues. I’ve also heard great things about Turkey!

Post # 9
11271 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

i don’t think you will really enjoy yourself on $3000.  the flights will take up a bulk of your budget.

Post # 10
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Ireland is fairly cheap to fly into (round trip from Dallas to Dublin is only $850ish per person), then you can hop a budget airline to anywhere else you want to go. We’re spending $5K for 2 full weeks in Europe this coming April, including flights (we’re flying into Dublin and out of Rome), transportation between countries/cities, lodging, and attractions/sites. Using sites like Airbnb or VRBO can MAJORLY cut your hotel costs, which turned our original 1 week trip into 2 weeks. You can also always check groupon getaways or living social escapes or sites like Jetsetter.com. It can be done, you just have to really research all your options.

Post # 11
5423 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

I went to Spain for 9 days.  And I think for 2 of us it was about $3100 for everything out of Philly.  Spent a ton once we were there tho. 

Post # 12
1668 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@batbrain:  It can be done you may just have to adjust the destinations, like we did.  My hubs didn’t want a beach vacation either.  I think a cruise is a good way to see Europe for less.

Post # 13
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@batbrain:  

We went on a 10 day cruise from Venice to Rome with a hotel at each the night before/after, for under 2k each, flying out of Boston. The cruise covered most eating expenses. You don’t get to see much by this method though, so I don’t highly recommend it for a honeymoon. 

I would think Philadelphia is an international hub, tickets are likely cheaper there, than say Boston. Play around with every combination of dates you can think of (if you can wait a day or two after the wedding). London’s airport and Dublin’s airport are one of the cheapest places to fly into in Europe, but from what I’ve heard the London is very expensive to visit.

The alternative that I’d recommend, is to pick a single country, and visit within that country by renting an apartment and cooking some meals there. This will save you a ton of money. Some apartments even include continental breakfast (typically just pastries), you can find them centrally located and significantly cheaper than hotels. You could likely get a studio for around $100 a night. Use sites like airbnb, venere, flipkey, homeaway etc. 

I specifically recommend ApartmentsApart. Looking at your date (Is your date correct?) I selected Londond as an example, traveling Wednesday-Tuesday, and they have studios starting from $111/night, around $660 for 6 nights. Flights are 1k. It will be tight, but absolutely doable (especially if you bump up to the 4k budget).

Good luck!

EDIT: Reread Pittsburgh, not Philly, sorry!

Post # 14
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Do you or Fiance fly often? If so, keep your eyes open for chances to give up your seat in upcoming months. My Fiance was able to give his up twice on one trip which scored him $800 in united flight vouchers. We then lucked out and they let us use them for a flight to Europe, so he only had to spend ~$300 out of pocket. apparently they don’t usually let you do that tho FYI. if you are willing to go just about anywhere I had a friend just find flights for ~$800 to Copenhagen from Chicago. Hostels can also be supercheap, but don’t sound particularly romantic for a honeymoon.

we originally wanted to go to Europe, but things were getting pricey fast. We ended up deciding we would rather go somewhere more lowkey (driving distance). By saving on the flights now we ha e the extra $$ to completely induI awes awesome b&bs and dinners. I’m super excited!

Post # 15
2178 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

We just did 10 days in Ireland for $3000 (flight, rental car and hotel).  Gas, food and activities cost extra (I think we ended up spending around $1100 on all that), but you could certainly cut down on the number of days/luxury hotels to get under that $3000 mark.

Post # 16
237 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Expect to pay around $1,000 (maybe less if you catch a good day) to any of those locations out of Pittsburgh. So that’s $2000 right there in airfare. I have been to Europe 6 times in the past 5 years and I bargain hunt, stay in hostels and have never had a trip for less than $2000 for a week – or $4000 for 2 people. So if you’re willing to buy food at grocery stores, not eat at restaurants and stay in hostels, you might be able to swing it. But realistically for a nice honeymoon to Europe, you should expect to pay about $5,000 for a week for the two of you. 

The topic ‘Europe on $3000?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors