(Closed) Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?

posted 6 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it fair for a photographer to charge an EXTRA $1000 JUST for the DVD of pictures?
    NO WAY that's insane! Keep looking for someone who will include the disk in their package : (48 votes)
    49 %
    YES they have the right to charge whatever they want it's their business and they may be worth it : (45 votes)
    46 %
    OTHER - please comment below : (4 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 3
    635 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

A friend had to pay more for a cd of her pics- it was pretty much a release of the copyrights. Once my friend bought the cd, she wouldn’t be using the photographer to buy prints, which means the photographer loses money by selling a cd. It’s expensive because they won’t make print money.sit wasn’t a DVD tho- not sure about that

Post # 4
    602 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

Yeah that isn’t as ridiculous as it might sound… you’re essentially taking away all money they would make from prints.  In a market like LA $5500 total for a photography package doesn’t surprise me.  I paid $4500 for my package which included an album + CD with copy rights in philly

Post # 5
    129 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

thats crazy! have you spoken with them about it? you never know they may at least work it down if you ask the worst they can say is no right?

Post # 6
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

@LilDrAnya:  Sounds about right on the pricing for a good photographer, especially considering the area you live/are getting married.  I’m sure you can find much cheaper, but if you have a specific taste like you mentioned, you probably won’t get what you want for a lower price.

Post # 8
    10288 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

Oh yea, our friends photographer did this, though I think his fee was only $750. I think it’s absolutely outrageous but I guess if you’re dead set on hiring them, it’s the price you have to pay. Thankfully our photog included our DVD in our package price. I would have NEVER paid that much extra just for the DVD. 

Post # 9
    769 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

some photographers build it into packages and others don’t. you have to look at the photographer’s as a whole for what you want and how much your willing to spend. for what you want, you would pay $5500 for these photographers. if it’s not worth it to you, then you should keep looking!

Post # 10
    602 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

@LilDrAnya:  I guess to your point… yes I have heard of it.  A friend just got married and is in the same scenario.  They paid $3500 up front (one photographer / no album) and want to buy the rights / pictures DVD and he wants close to $1000 for it.  I think that a lot of photographres make a lot of money off of prints so that is the basis of the high price.  Obviously the more prestigious the photographer you have the more it is going to and these people sound pretty nice… I hope for the base price you are getting a lot (full day coverage / second shooter / album / engagement session) and that is the basis of the high starting rate.  My friends have three sets of parents (divorced on one side + grooms parents) who basically decided they want to buy the CD to share so that is how it is working out for them.  The “nice” thing is that you can wait on this and buy it with wedding presents if you decide it is worth it after you get an album or other prints.  Good luck,  I hope you find someone that works with your budget.

Post # 11
    240 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

My photo package seems to be the opposite of the norm, but exactly what I was looking for: I’m paying $1600 for 8 hours of service and the CD of all the photos which will not contain any watermarks. This way I can make make my own albums and look though the picture at my leisure.

The option was available to have albums included, but then the price more than doubled, essentially because that is more of her time, which is reasonable.

In the technological age that we live in, i saw no reason to pay someone $4000+ for something i can do myself on Snapfish, etc….

I love her style, and I have the added benefit that she is a recent bride and it’s important to her to provide a service that was impossible to find when she was searching for a photographer.

Post # 12
    326 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I think it’s pretty standard.  Maybe not $1000, but I know some that are around $650 – $750 extra for that.  You’re basically buying the printing rights…… they own the images….. and some photographers will give you DVDs of the images but the quality isn’t as good – sure you can print 4×6, 5×7, and even 8×10 with those, but anything larger is a problem.  The DVD your photographer is probably giving you will contain larger images – RAW images, etc. – and he’s most likely also giving you full printing rights – so you don’t have to order prints through him.  I think it’s pretty standard – at least for higher end photography…… well, where I am from it is.  🙂 

Post # 13
    3697 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Not only “may” it be worth it – that’s how photographers feed their families.  You get what you pay for in photography as anything.

I’m not a photographer but my family owns a pro photo lab so they deal with them all the time and are very familiar with the business.

The DVD images should be of quality that you will be able to order any prints that you want yourself.  That means the photog will not make any money past the wedding day.  Not like all of that $4500 goes into their pocket… if they really are pros they’ll probably tote in $20k worth of equipment, spend a few hours with you ahead of time, wear nice clothes, spend time editing photos, pay their asisstants, etc, etc.

Also:  Snapfish =/= professional prints.  Actual professional archival prints will last for 100+ years, not fade, and actually return with you looking the right color.  Snapfish will print you on cheap paper that will look ok for a while and then fade, crack, and otherwise diseintegrate. 

Post # 14
    2607 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Yeah that’s pretty standard in my experience.

Post # 15
    4150 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

That sounds pretty standard, especially for your area.  When I was pricing photogs, I kept a spreaddsheet with all the details of what was included in the packages and the DVD price because some include it and some don’t, and it’s an expensive addition!

Post # 16
    155 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Nope, our photog is giving us a DVD of all pictures taken as part of the package.

The topic ‘Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors