(Closed) Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it fair for a photographer to charge an EXTRA $1000 JUST for the DVD of pictures?

NO WAY that's insane! Keep looking for someone who will include the disk in their package

YES they have the right to charge whatever they want it's their business and they may be worth it

OTHER - please comment below

• Post # 17
    1765 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I think it depends on your location actually. Look at other photographers packages and see if most in your area include the DVD or charge extra. Almost all the photographers I looked at in my area included a DVD of all images. My photography is costing me about $3600 for 8 hours wedding day coverage, engagement shoot (with album & dvd of images), wedding album, slide show of images on dvd, and high resolution images on a dvd, 2nd shooter for wedding, and a print credit. 

Post # 18
    1936 posts
    Buzzing bee

No way would I pay an additional $1000 for the DVD. My photographer included it with all the originals as photogs should… I know many do it but I think it’s redic.

Post # 19
    394 posts
    Helper bee

Regardless of your photographer, you are paying for the image CD one way or another. Its either built into the package cost already, or you are paying for it a la carte. Either way you ARE paying for it. It all is just a matter of each individual photographers business structure. You are NEVER getting the images (CD or otherwise) for free. Somewhere in the pricing structure you are most definitely paying for it. 

To the OP, this seems completely reasonable based on your location, $5500 for wedding photography is a steal in LA. I say this without knowing anything about the photographer you are looking at, but if they are as amazing as you say, this definitely sounds accurate. Ask yourself if you would be as riled up about it if they just included the disc and said their cost was $5500? Would you have hired them then? 

Post # 20
    10360 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

Yes.

If the DVD/CD is not already in your contract, I would expect to pay at least that much. If their hourly total without a CD/DVD is that high, then yes, you were way out of your price range. Always always completely understand your contract before signing it.

Post # 22
    313 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Maybe high but pretty standard to charge anywhere from $250-$1000 extra for the CD/DVD. Like many already said, they are losing money on the prints that would be ordered thorugh them.

We got incrediably lucky when booking our photographer. He is an up and coming local photographer. We caught him just as he was about to make the jump in popularity- we pretty much had free range of dates for e-shoots and our wedding date was wide open. At the time he was also redoing all his packages and we got a “rough draft” deal- 8hrs, unlimited photos and editing on them, free 6month online sharing gallery, 2 5×7, a 16×20, free e-shoot, CD of our e-shoot and CD wedding (all edited pics and no water marks) with letter of release and rights for the grand total of $1000. Fast forward a month after booking and our engagement session- he is booked solid for the next almost 12 months and the price equivalent to the package we got is over $1500 without CDs ($500 extra) and e-shoot ($350). I like to think its because he put our awesome e-pics on his blog 😉

Anyone in the DE/MD/NJ/PA areas- look up KellyPhillips Photography!

Post # 23
    7294 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

i think my sister paid that for her wedding pics on DVD. it was either that or another fee (less) for a certain number of printed pics, so she chose the DVD.  For my wedding, it was included.

Post # 24
    10635 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2011

Yes, it is common, but you can find some photographers where it is included.  Mine included it with her package.

Post # 25
    2231 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Canadian Bees: this is actually not supposed to happen in Canada since our copyright laws are different than in the US! My photographer explained it to us when we signed our contract since I had mentioned that some photographers in our area charge for the rights.

Otherwise, yes, in the US this is standard practice.

Post # 26
    746 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

ALL I’M SAYING IS OMG PEOPLE HERE ARE REALLY VOTING/SAYING YES IS FINE…WTH…..I’M DONE HERE! SMH

Post # 27
    1403 posts
    Bumble bee

It depends if the photographer is front end/back end loaded.  They can charge anything for the CD, and some may include it in a package.  You have to compare the total package and total price.  I think breaking it out is a flexible option for those that wouldn’t want it and would want to save some money, rather than photographers that include it and make you pay for it whether you want it or not.

Oh, and snapfish doesn’t even come close to professional quality products.

Post # 28
    1199 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

@LilDrAnya:  I think $1000 is too high. It was not included in our original package, but I didn’t want to have to pay to print pics, I paid $300 for a cd with the photos and copyrights.

Post # 29
    699 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Hmm, for all those saying it’s normal in LA, or $5500 is cheap in LA, I’m surprised because I certainly saw a lot in the $3500 range that included the DVD…. That said, they have the right to price how they want to, and as USER876 has pointed out I suppose that it’s good to have it a la carte if you don’t want to pay for it.

Post # 30
    1403 posts
    Bumble bee

Also, I don’t understand how people can put a value on things without even seeing the product.  Photography is not a commodity item.  A craigslist photographer may only charge 100 bucks for the CD, does that mean someone charging 300, 500, or 1000 is ripping you off?  If you are thinking this way I think you are missing the point that photography is an artform and worth more the better and more in demand it gets.  If you don’t like the price, shop around.  If you can’t find anything of the same quality for cheaper, then you answered your own question….yes, it’s worth it.

Post # 31
    79 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Yeah, that’s pretty normal.  It’s because with the DVD they’re giving you a license to make your own copies of the prints. (It does NOT automatically mean they are signing over the copyright to you and they wuld likely still have the right to use your wedding photos in their promotional materials, etc. etc).  However, it is totally possible to find a good photographer who will not charge you so much for a DVD – look for one who isn’t set up to do their own prints.  If they weren’t going to make money my keeping them from you, they likely won’t charge so much to sign the license over.

The topic ‘Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors