(Closed) Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it fair for a photographer to charge an EXTRA $1000 JUST for the DVD of pictures?
    NO WAY that's insane! Keep looking for someone who will include the disk in their package : (48 votes)
    49 %
    YES they have the right to charge whatever they want it's their business and they may be worth it : (45 votes)
    46 %
    OTHER - please comment below : (4 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 32
    1403 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @strawberryshortcake:  It realy has nothing to do with if the photographer sells prints or not.  It has to do with how much they have to make per wedding to stay profitable while maintaining the level of quality and customer service their brand is known for.

Post # 33
    412 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

That’s exactly how our photographer is, and she’s more expensive even than the $4500 but she did say that if we bought an album through her that we’d get the disk included.  It makes sense I think, I mean, they make a good amount of their money off albums and prints.  Photographer was the most important thing to me, so that’s where the money is going.

Post # 34
    447 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

Bummer!  I never saw this in looking for a photographer, but I guess it’s not that unusual (like some others are saying, you pay for it either way).  

You should try and negotiate.  Maybe they’ll be flexible with their fee somewhere else, like if you had them come later/leave earlier (we had our photogs leave after the cake was cut and have no regrets – they got plenty of pictures of people dancing and I’m not sure that we needed 2 hours worth more).  Or you could see if there’s a way to lower the price of the disc if you work out a required minimum of images to buy through them.  The worst they can say is no.

Post # 35
    553 posts
    Busy bee

We paid $300 extra for it bc it included the rights to our photos.

Post # 36
    3570 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

My photographer charged $1200 for the disc of the wedding images, and $500 for the e-pic disc.  This was on top of the $4400 package price, so I don’t think it’s unheard of.

The topic ‘Ever heard of a photographer charging an EXTRA $1000 JUST for a DVD of pictures?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors