- 5 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
I want to start this post with the premise that I did not expect perfection. I wasn’t some starry-eyed gal who exisited in a wedding planning bubble. I knew this wedding planning was going to involve people and people (including myself) aren’t perfect. But this is kind of beginning to get to me… And this is the whole reason I just wanted it to be us, no frills. I wanted what I deemed the easy way out. But something just felt off about that. So we opted to do a very small, Destination Wedding.
Here is what has gone on so far:
– Calling a Rehearsal Dinner place 7 times + 1 email with no response whatsoever. Nothing. When I finally got a manager on the phone, he interrupted me in my first sentence and said, “So what do you want?”.
– Our potential florist sending me multiple emails with questions that I answered in the very long consultation sheet I had already sent.
– Another florist talking to me for less than 5 min then saying he will come up with an amount, without asking what kind of flowers I wanted, with the exception of one kind.
– My mom not really being involved. She doesn’t answer emails or texts. I am her only child. I can’t plan anything because she simply doesn’t answer.
– I’m still waiting on addresses from her that I asked for 3 weeks ago.
– My parents refuse to give us a budget but my step dad, in a drunken stupor said a few weeks ago, “It will be cut off soon”. I asked my mom what that meant and she said we would talk later. She refuses to have the conversation.
– No one in my or FI’s family really congratulating us. My grandmother sent us an arrangement. My mom sent a card only to compete with her. I know this because it was about 3 weeks after our engagement and I mentioned the flowers. The next day she said she was sending a card. She is weirdly competitive with my grandmother…always has been. I could reason maybe it’s not their style, except FI’s dad and step mom threw his brother an engagement party.
– My dad hung up on me when I said I was engaged because I didn’t announce it how he thought I should. I shouldn’t be surprised as he has never been a real dad…never dependable, lied all the time (still does), drinks too much and does drugs. But still…it hurts.
– Upon asking my two BM’s to be in my wedding, I asked each of them if there was any dress style, cut or color they wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing. Both said they would wear anything. I am allowing them to pick their own dresses as long as they are knee length (or short) and not strapless. Upon hearing this one Bridesmaid or Best Man texts me and said, “Well I have no idea what I’m going to wear because I only wear long, strapless gowns and those seem more wedding-y to me.” Then she sends me photos of all the dresses she likes – 2 strapless, 1 long and strapless…none of which fit the criteria, which isn’t all that difficult.
These are just a few things that have happened…there is plenty more. Now I’m about to have a meltdown over a coupon code that doesn’t work on Etsy, when trying to purchase a wedding stamp. Clearly, it’s not the coupon! I think I’ve just reached my max and needed to vent.
I would love to hear from others that might be in a similiar place and how they handled it. My Fiance is really great about it all…helps how and when he can and just generally supports how I’m feeling. But I can’t tell him everything, all the time.