(Closed) Exercising while pregnant – 140 heart rate??

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 16
9691 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

While I think 140 is a bit low, I don’t think I’d push it to 180 bpm. That’s over the target heart rate even when you’re not pregnant.

Post # 17
4998 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I agree the 140 HR thing is a little outdated, but 160 seems very high for moderate exertion. Mine wouldn’t get to 160 unless I was running straight up a mountain or something. I would get yourself a good HR monitor and figure our your resting heart rate and talk to your doctor about personalizing the numbers since you obviously have a high heart rate.

Post # 18
412 posts
Helper bee

peachacid:  For what it’s worth my first trimester I was so epically drained and exhasted it was irrelevant. Before pregnancy I was really active, but it just kicked me on my ass. So – 1 Your body will tell you to slow down, either by being really tired or later you get super fun shooting pain when you push too hard. and 2- You might not be hitting the gym as much as you think. Even though 6 weeks prego you look the same, at least for me you feel very different. At 5 weeks I was on vacation and fell asleep on a bench outside while other people shopped. Twice. 

Post # 19
3110 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

peachacid:  I did crossfit til 37w. I promise your body will tell you when you’re doing too much. Stick to what you were doing before, be able to speak while running/rowing/swimming/whatever and you should be fine. I was so concerned in the beginning and then one day I just couldn’t do X and realized my body would tell me.

Same with sleeping on my back. I worried like crazy about that. And then one day I couldn’t breathe on my back and was like, oh, ok no more.

Post # 20
412 posts
Helper bee

mamadingdong:  The back thing happened to me too!!! I was so stressed about it then one day rolled on my back and felt like I was drowning. Immediatly moved and realized ‘oh, I guess I didn’t need to stress about that for months’ 

Post # 21
2571 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Really silly question, but is the HR exertion guideline for when you are trying to get pregnant (i.e. have a hard time conceiving if you go over 140 or whatever new standard is) or when you are already pregnant? Or both, lol.

Post # 22
9822 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

MrsNewDay:  it was for pregnant women. I dont think exercise interferes with conception unless wgat you are doing is strenuous enough to stop your cycles

Post # 23
3378 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

peachacid:  As far as I understand, the 140bpm guideline is very outdated – the more modern recommendations have much more to do with each individual woman and her fitness level.  Do you regularly exercise now?  Assuming you have a normal, healthy pregnancy you should be able to continue at the same level of intensity.  Listen to your body, don’t push yourself or train hard during pregnancy, and be ready to take the intensity level down as needed.  I also think making sure you don’t overheat is a bigger deal than keeping your heartrate down, so make sure you don’t exercise in extreme heat, and stay well hydrated.

Post # 25
4430 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I was pretty sedentary prior to pregnancy, I mean dog walking doesn’t count but I did do zumba dvd’s (45 mins) maybe 2 times week, sometimes not at all?

For our anniversary my husband bought us a treadmill a month ago.  I have been using it ever since for 30-40 mins at a fast walking pace for 4 to 5 days a week.  It has a heart rate monitor and I only really check it if I feel i’m working out too intensely for how i’m feeling.  I don’t pay much mind to it unless I have symptoms (dizziness, light headed, out of breath). 

Like a PP said, if you can hold a conversation, you’re fine. 

For reference though, my HR is around 130-150 when working out. 

Post # 26
685 posts
Busy bee

My doctor said to just continue the type of exercise I was doing before but try not to overexert myself.  I got one of the polar heart rate monitors even though she said that the 140bpm thing is a little outdated.  The real thing they worry about is core temperature because if that gets high then that could actually hurt the baby, but 140bpm is usually conservative so if I stayed under it then I shouldn’t have to worry about core temperature unless it’s super hot out. 

I don’t really know if there’s a way to monitor core temperature during exercise either, so I just stick to the 140bpm to be safe.  But I’m sure there’s a little leeway if you don’t even feel like you’re getting warm–just try not to do more than what you were doing before you got pregnant.  I’ve been so exhausted I can’t work out as hard as I used to anyway, so it’s usually not a problem 😛

Post # 27
876 posts
Busy bee

peachacid:  This is outdated advice. I ran all through my first pregnancy and am running again during my second. I’m not running as fast or as far but I still do it 6 days a week. Listen to your body and slow down or stop when needed. It is advised not to start anything new while pregnant but if you exercised prior you should be able to keep on going when you’re pregnant.

Also just using the machines to check heart rete aren’t the most accurate. The best way is by getting a heart rate monitor.

Post # 28
3081 posts
Sugar bee

Yea, everything I’ve read and follow indicates that the 140 is outdated. My doctor was completely okay with me doing everything I did prior to pregnancy until it got too uncomfortable – spin, running, lifting, elliptical, etc. 

Just for kicks, a couple of months ago I measured my heart rate on the stair climber and it took precisely 1:04 for me to hit 140. I expect that I’m regularly within the 160-170 range with a hard workout. 

I’m 27 weeks now, and just gave up running last week. I would do some research then approach your doctor again, I’m by no means a health professional but am just relaying what I found and what makes sense to me!

Post # 29
4430 posts
Honey bee

I agree with Ballet513:  I use a fingertip pulse ox for heart rate, it’s way more accurate thatn the treadmill, it isn’t off by TOO much, but it is off regardless if you’re being technical.

Post # 30
3339 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

Absolutely ignore the 140 thing.  That’s hogwash.  You can absolutely still exercise while pregnant.  It’s important to listen to your body more and stop when you’re tired.  Stay hydrated.  I was told that I can continue cardio and strength training.  The biggest difference is that you should no longer work out until exhaustion.  Also, I’m not upping my weight every few weeks in strength training.  I’m using the same weight and only trying to maintain.

The topic ‘Exercising while pregnant – 140 heart rate??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors