Post # 1
Our house was built in 1950’s and during the home inspection the inspector did say that the attic insulation most likely contains asbestos, but left undisturbed it shouldn’t be a big deal. Well..Darling Husband had drilled a hole into our bathroom ceiling to install a fan and I am all freaked out that he disturbed the asbestos and is now floating around our house. He tells me I worry too much (typical male). Has anyone here had any experiences with asbestos in your home? Now I’m even scared to use our central air since at some point holes had to be drilled into the ceiling for that too! HELP! lol
Post # 3
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You may not have come into contact with the insulation and you don’t know for sure that the insulation had asbestos in it.
If you do drill any more holes into the ceilings and you are worried about it, then I recommend wetting everything before drilling. The wet fibers fall faster and you are less likely to inhale them.
If your home was built in the 1950s then it’s likely there is asbestos in more than just the insulation. It can be in the drywall, in plaster, in the drywall mud, in the drywall tape. If you have any original tile or linoleum it can be in the flooring and in the mastic used to stick the flooring on the base.
Also, it’s possible that you have lead-based paint throughout the house and on the exterior.
We’re exposed to carcinogens all the time so don’t let the hazards in your home freak you out too much.
Post # 4
@BrianneG: Thank you for your response. I feel a little more calm now. 🙂