(Closed) experience with petocin (spelling?)?

posted 8 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

If you don’t mind saying, why is your doctor recommending induction?

If I were in your shoes, I would be asking a lot of questions to your doctor. If you want to go drug-free (and you are having a normal pregnancy, no complications, no urgent reason why you have to speed things up) you don’t have to have the induction, the pitocin, the epidural, etc. These decisions are ultimately yours to make, not your doctor’s.

If you are satisfied that there is a good reason why you should be induced, still ask questions about the dosage, how quickly/frequently they turn it up, etc.

I hoped and planned for a med-free birth. When my labor stalled out (turned out LO was posterior), my midwife boosted it with the lowest dose of pitocin to kickstart things. That was all I needed, and within three hours I gave birth vaginally – no epidural or any other medication involved. I know, though, that many practitioners give higher doses of pitocin that make things a lot harder. Ask a lot of questions so that you have a clear picture of things before you consent to the induction and the meds!

Post # 3
4144 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
Mrslovebug:  Wait, why is she already scheduling an induction?? Are you high risk? There’s no reason to schedule ind, early no less, just because you are dilated. 

And it’s Pitocin 🙂

Post # 4
21 posts

I was induced with that drug after going in and out of labor for quite a while. I would not do it again. I had to wait for the entire bag of IV drip to enter my body, and that took hours! It makes your labor pains much more intense and painful. I did get the epidural a couple hours after that finished because you still have to wait for your water to break. While it much push things along, I don’t think it was worth it.

Post # 5
8066 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I was induced with pitocin at 41 weeks.  I was tired of being pregnant so I opted to be induced.  I don’t think I’d choose it again, as long as everything was ok I would have tried to wait it out until I couldn’t anymore (42 weeks).

I wasn’t a fan of being induced.  I had to go in the night before for cervidil.  You won’t get much sleep with heartrate monitors strapped to you.  I was 75% effaced and 1 cm dilated when they started pitocin and broke my water the next AM (within 30 min of each other).  I basically went from no contractions to fairly intense contractions every 2-3 minutes that were lasting 50 seconds or so.  They got really painful really fast, so there was no slow buildup at all.

You will have to be monitoried the whole time.  Before an epidural they let me stand or use the birthing ball or do whatever I wanted but if baby showed any signs of not liking something they won’t let you do it anymore.

So I ended up being forced to be in bed on my side.  It felt 5x worse in bed so at that point I got an epidural.

It took me 4 hours to go to 100% effaced and 2 cm but at that point I got the epidural and after that things moved pretty fast.  I was 9cm with only a lip 4 hours later but it took another 2 hours for me to be complete.  I pushed for 1 hr 20 min but my contractions were only coming every 5 min after my epidural (they had to restart my pitocin after the epidural and never put it up above the minimum due to baby) so it probably would have went a lot quicker had they been closer together.

My epidural didnt work completely on the side I was laying on so I could actually feel all of my contractions and pressure to push (as well as move my leg and stand on it after delivery), they just weren’t super painful (only uncomfortable).

Post # 6
6580 posts
Bee Keeper

I’m surprised they are jumping right to pitocin.  I was induced at 41.5w with the cervadil gel, it worked right away and I went into labour.  Unfortunately once I got the epidural it slowed down, so then they had to give me pitocin. They started with a very low dose and upped it hourly until it was strong enough to make labour speed up. The contractions came back stronger but I didn’t feel them (until the epi wore off, that’s another story).

Post # 8
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

That makes sense. You might ask, like Lyndzo suggested, if they would start with Cervidil before going straight to Pitocin, and it’d be good to ask her about the dose, how fast they increase it, if they can leave it alone once you have a good contraction pattern, etc.

With Pitocin, some women get long series of near-continuous contractions. They are much easier to handle if you have a break in between them. I was able to get through mine without the epi because the dose was low enough (and my midwife *kept* it low enough) that I still had a break in between them. That, plus great support from my husband and a fabulous doula!

Post # 9
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

One more question to ask (can’t believe this slipped my mind last night): What is your Bishop score?

The Bishop score is basically a measurement of how ready your body is for labor and birth. It aggregates your effacement, dilation, cervical position and consistency, and whether/how far your baby has dropped, and it predicts the likelihood of a successful induction. The scale goes from 0-13; the higher the number, the better the chances of a successful induction (because your body is pretty much ready to go into labor spontaneously anyway.) If your Bishop score is low, the chances of ending up with a C-section become a lot stronger.

It’s a good idea to have a conversation with your doctor about your score, your chances of the induction leading to a C-section, and how that risk compares to the risks to you and baby if you hold off, taking into account your epilepsy and the dilution of your medication from the increased blood volume and whatever other factor you are weighing. It might well be that those things are risky enough that it’s better to take your chances with the induction and have the C-section if it turns out that way. But it’d be good to talk that through with your doctor before, rather than after, so that you are prepared for how things may turn out.

Post # 10
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

Sorry – I keep thinking of more things!

If you and your doctor do come to the conclusion that it’s best to go ahead with the induction, it would be smart to make “just in case” plans for what you want to have happen if you end up with a C-section. For example, some hospitals can do “family friendly” C-sections where they still make an effort to give you skin-to-skin with your baby as soon as possible, etc. You will also want to ask about what type of suturing they will use to close the incision – single-layer or double-layer. Single-layer is faster and often results in less blood loss, but double-layer is stronger and has better long-term outcomes for avoiding rupturing in a subsequent pregnancy. If you hope/plan to have more children down the road, you might want to insist on double-layered suturing.

The topic ‘experience with petocin (spelling?)?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors