- 2 months ago
Long post, skip to the bottom for bullet points haha. This is in my post history but a recap of what happened with my old ring: there was a tiny scratch on the moissanite and the setting was crooked. Also overall the stone just felt hazy and cloudy but I thought it might just be how moissanites are since I only owned diamonds before and haven’t really seen a moissanite in person before buying from Tianyu.
Ella was our contact person. When we reached out with our concerns, she offered partial refunds to fix the setting in the US, but we decided to ship the ring back to Tianyu and have them fix it since the stone potentially needed to be replaced.
Once they received the ring, Ella informed us that she didn’t think the setting is crooked but the stone did have a scratch so they would replace with a new stone and reset more carefully. At this point we decided that we might as well ask for the stone to be custom cut – thicker arrows, smaller table, higher crown – to give the stone more depth. Ella told us that thicker arrows wouldn’t really give the stone more clarity but it would make the arrows more visible (which I thought is probably somewhat equivalent to better clarity). We don’t really know the exact specs of smaller table and higher crown (like what % we want), but even with our vague description, Ella got their cutter to cut a beautiful stone that’s beyond expectation (more on this later). Since we also now know the exact date of our engagement, Ella helped us engrave the ring too.
Once the ring was remade, Ella sent us the proof videos and pictures. This was when I realized she didn’t know why I thought the setting was crooked because it still was. The entire stone was basically tilted and does not face upright. She must have thought that I thought the round stone was set rotated and off corner horizontally, which would explain why she was confused initially, I would be too. Once this was cleared, she immediately had the jeweler fix it.
Now lessons learned working with Tianyu:
– Ask for a 360 video of your ring before they send. This would have avoided this whole thing for us because while the stone was not perfect initially, we were mostly unhappy about the crooked setting, which would have been easily spotted and fixed before they sent it out. But in retrospect we are happy this happened because now we have more time to learn about moissanites and have a perfectly beautiful stone
– If you have any concerns, I find it’s easier to draw it out or send pictures and videos to communicate. I don’t mean to sound condesending, because English is not my first language either. But when I just said the setting is “crooked”, it was too vague to really communicate what I meant. There were many times once I drew it out, Ella went “ahhhh” and now I have a perfect ring 🙂
– It can be a headache shipping internationally, but Tianyu really try to work with you to find solutions so I wouldn’t hesitate to reach out if you have concerns. We were responsible for shipping to China, but everything else was free of charge
Reviews of the custom cut: (sorry I don’t have pictures right now, I’ll try to upload some later)
– Holy moly. Before I received this I had kinda given up and thought all moissanites are just kinda cloudy in certain lighting environments. But the new stone I received is crisp, has depth, and more fire than my diamonds. It looks so beautiful in direct lighting, and in diffused lighting, instead of cloudy, it just looks really white or flashes pastel colors
– Ella told us a thicker arrow will reduce the fire and brilliance. This wasn’t a problem for me because I feel like it was initially looking hazy either because it was a stud stone, or because it was too brilliant and had too much light bouncing around inside the stone
– I was concerned about the reduced fire because fire is what I love about moissanites compared to diamonds. I also like both H&A and OEC cuts. So I asked for a smaller table and higher crown, because I thought the increased size of the facets will give off bigger flashes of color and compensate for the reduced fire, and in my mind this is a hybrid between H&A and OEC. I don’t know for sure but if you are looking to have the moissanite perform closer to a diamond I’d skip the change in table and crown and just ask for thicker arrow. But boy am I in love with this stone. So gorgeous in every angle and lighting environment.
Thank you for reading. Hopefully this is helpful for other bees thinking about working with Tianyu or getting a custom cut somewhere else. I’m gonna go back to staring and admiring my “new” ring.