(Closed) Eye Colour *Prediction*

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
Member
378 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2008

Ohhhh, fun! I love things like this. I can’t get my answers to submit but I’ll try again later!

Post # 4
Member
1684 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

BWAHAHA.

Apparently we have a 50% chance of having a green-eyed baby. 

And a 50% chance of having a blue-eyed baby.

Thumbs up in my books!

 

Post # 5
Member
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Ooooh – thanks!  After I finally got mine to submit, looks like there’s 75% chance of green eyes and 25% chance of blue eyes. 

Post # 7
Member
643 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

It just told me that a green-eyed parent and a blue-eyed parent can’t have a brown-eyed parent… but I’m living proof!!! Tongue out

Post # 8
Member
609 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2009

it wont let me connect to the server, but i’m dying to know what it says! 🙂

Post # 9
Member
2018 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@HopingToBeaMama: Wait?  Who has what color here? If you mean you have the brown eyes and your parents have light, yes, it used to be thought that wasn’t possible but it turns out Mendel(sp?) was a little off in his theories.

But I still don’t understand how two recessive genes can create one that is dominant (brown).  That’s why I’m not a scientist I guess. lol

Post # 10
Member
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Fun, fun!  I think I know what it will be, but I’m gonna do it anyhow.

Post # 11
Member
5093 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

@HopingToBeaMama:  Yeah, I’m proof that two blue-eyed parents can produce a green-eyed child!

…Well, technically, my mom’s eyes are more gray than anything, but that’s not an option here, and their server freaked out when I tried to say her eyes were blue.  They don’t have hazel as an option, either, but that’s what FI’s are.  That’s a very different thing than brown, so I don’t know what to do.

Post # 12
Member
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@MrsJules10: Ugh, me too!!!!!!!!! 

GreenEyedMoonMine are hazel and my Mom’s are, too – so frustrating that there isn’t that option.

Post # 13
Member
5093 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

@PutABirdOnIt:  They can’t.  Not usually, at least.  Mutations happen, though, and so it’s possible.

Post # 14
Member
1180 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

@2ndtimeacharm

“But I still don’t understand how two recessive genes can create one that is dominant (brown).  That’s why I’m not a scientist I guess. lol”

It’s possible, but EXTREMELY unlikely. How it works is, there is one primary gene that usually determines eye color (blue or brown or green), along with several secondary/tertiary genes (which is how we get different shades of blue, brown, gray, hazel, etc).

So, two parents could have recessive primary genes (ie, blue or green eyes) yet have something in the secondary/tertiary genes that makes their offspring’s eyes appear brown. From what I understand, it is unlikely (but not impossible) for someone with a recessive blue eyed primary gene to even have a brown eyed tertiary gene, and that if they do, it’s also unlikely the tertiary gene will ‘take over’ the primary gene, so the odds are not in your favor of having two blue eyed parents with a brown eyed kid. But it’s not impossible. Still, I would imagine any time a blue eyed couple gives birth to a brown eyed kid they will get the side eye.

Post # 15
Member
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

The eye color thing has always confused me terribly. I have brown eyes, my sister has blue eyes, and my other sister has green eyes (full siblings and we look it, ie., no milkman babies).

Post # 16
Member
2018 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@Tatum: Yes, you are right.  It is rare.  The reason I said I didn’t understand it completely is because I was reading about the gene mutation that would make that possible and it just got too technical for me and my attention wandered. lol

But I had been researching to find out where blue eyes came from.  And really, they’re just…a pretty, freaky mutation. Also, I found out that all people with blue eyes are descended from the same ancestor.  Which means, on some level, a million times removed, I’m related to my husband. Creepy, no? lol

The topic ‘Eye Colour *Prediction*’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors