Post # 46
bride2bebe: The first picture is the cake design (we might end up doing real flowers) and the 2nd pic is how it’s presented to guests.
To add to my previous comment, I would not PAY for a pre-fab fake cake (or not pre-fab…) the cake itself was included in the package). This just so happens to be how they do in and that’s good because my fiance hates fondant.
Post # 47
- Wedding: September 2015 - Edinburgh
I was bridesmaid at a wedding where there was one fake tier because the decoration was so intricate that it took a while to do properly. The rest of the cake was real.
I’m planning on having a three tier cake with a real bottom layer for cutting and then sheet cakes for actual eating. We’re doing this for a number of reasons (brace yourself for bullet points):
- Neither my fiancé or I are that bothered about cake. We can take it or leave it and I’m not spending hundreds of pounds on something I’m not bothered about. (The same goes for flowers.)
- I want to be able to do the decoration myself but I also want it to be done a few days/weeks in advance so that I don’t have to stress on the day.
- Our cake topper is something that people probably wouldn’t want near their food, so if we have a fake cake it cuts out that problem.
I don’t think I would hire one though. Those things are expensive. Might as well have real cake if you’re paying big bucks.
Post # 48
Is the Caketress doing your cake?! Her designs are AMAZING!
Post # 49
No, is that who did that design? I LOVE IT. The in-house cake decorator at my venue (ritz-carlton, dove mountain) assured me he could replicate it EXCEPT that the gold edging would have a slightly different pattern. 🙂
Post # 50
My stepmom actually suggested this to me when I was talking about cutting costs and I was flabbergasted! There are SOOOOOOOOOO many other options to save money and actually have a dessert (pies, cookies, cupcakes, having Sams Club make it, making it at home, sheet cakes, ect, ect, ect.) that I don’t understand why anyone would do this!
Post # 51
Yes, I think so, it looks like her design/style. That is so gorgeous, you have great taste!
Post # 52
Thank you! I just googled her and it does look like something she would do. I’ll have to look through some pics and see if maybe she IS the one who made the cake in the photo! How neat!
OMG it is! How cool to figure out who actually made that cake. I was like, “UGH, no idea who made this, but I love iiit”
Post # 53
- Wedding: July 2015 - City Hall!
Yes, if it was a better savings. Example: A four tier foam cake! No one will know and really you can give people a yummy sheet cake for a huge savings!