(Closed) Fake flowers: 100% cheesy, or acceptable under dire circumstances?

posted 10 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

For our wedding we used a mixture of real and silk flowers.  The table centerpieces were real, and the larger arrangements, including the altar arrangements, were silk.  We did use pretty high-end silk flowers, as I didn’t want them to look cheesy, but in the general profusion of flowers you couldn’t really pick out the artificial ones.  And that’s not just my opinion – the week after the wedding we had to sort out flower arrangements, because my mom didn’t realize until they were taking them out of the car after the wedding that not all the flowers were real – which made her think that the silk ones somehow belonged to the venue rather than to us, so she took them back.  They were pretty sure they were actually mine, and so luckily locked them in an office for me!!

Anyway – I would shop around for your silk flowers.  The cheap ones you get at Joanne’s are not the best – and even stores that sell nice ones will sell different quality/price points.  IMO you can absolutely put together a nice bouquet from artifical flowers.  There are also florists that will work with silk flowers for you, if you want to search one out, and they might have more idea what is available wholesale and be able to do something quite fabulous for you.

Post # 4
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2008 - Vineyard on the Delta

i LOVE fresh flowers, and arranging them is actually my favorite craft.  But for my own wedding i’m doing silks just because of practicality and because i can’t afford florists that can make me happy because i’m sooo picky!  it hurts me so that i can’t do fresh arrangements for my own wedding but i think my sanity will be worth the sacrifice.

you can definitely find silks that are of higher quality that will look much better than the cheap ones, and can certainly look very close to the real thing in photos.  i personally went with more textures rather than floral imitations.  if you have other specific questions you can pm me and i’ll try my best to help ya.  i hope to finish them up soon so i can take pics and blog about it, so keep an eye out for the post 🙂

Post # 5
378 posts
Helper bee

For ours (in FOUR DAYS!!) we’re doing a mixture of silk and real in the centerpieces. My dad actually found some really good looking silk long-stemmed cala lillies at Wal-mart of all places, so there are no stores in Southern Wisconsin with them left in stock :). Our florist is actually going to buy them from us after the wedding. So I think it’s perfectly fine.

Post # 6
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

We forgot to remind my father about ordering orchids for our centerpieces the week before the wedding, and he was strangely calm about that fact. I, however, was not. The day BEFORE the wedding, when we found out, I was forced to visit Hobby Lobby and purchase some bright pink and fushia fake orchids. They were on sale, and instead of spending $160 on perishable flowers, we just spent $36, and the set-up was easy. Thankfully… it turned out okay. The situation was unexpected and un-nerving, but I was happy about being able to set up the flowers beforehand (and the faux orchids didn’t wilt like the real ones did in my trial!). If I had thought of it before/had the time, I would have also done fake flowers for things like bridesmaids bouquets, corsages, and boutonnieres. They last longer, and you can really make it look nice long before the wedding. Plus, since you’re having a destination wedding, using fake flowers will give you the ability to use flowers not available to the area.

It was supposed to look like this…

But it ended up like this…

Post # 7
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2008

My cousin used silk flowers at her wedding and I’m pretty sure the only person that noticed was my mother, the avid gardener  : )

Post # 8
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

Nice silk flowers will look beautiful, not only on your wedding day but for years afterward. Even if you weren’t getting married in remote India, it would still be fine to use them!

Post # 9
293 posts
Helper bee

Silk can be beautiful, also some brides are using crystal sprays HOWEVER, have you been to a wedding in India?  It is likely you will have a truckload of assorted carnations–I have literally seen the tables and lawn covered with them!  Do whatever makes you happy but be realistic–YOU ARE IN INDIA so who in the world is going to expect you to have access to a greenhouse?  It might even look out of place.  I would really try to get some local flavour and if that means even (gasp) carnations–anyone looking at your pictures would think-OF COURSE.  My best advice to you is take a prescription of Cipro with you.  

Post # 11
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Hi!  We are planning on using silk flowers for our wedding mainly because I’m a control freak and I don’t want to be surprised at all on my wedding day when my flowers arrive. 

If you give me your email address, I can send you pictures of the flower centerpieces that I have so far.  I can also point you in the direction of where I purchased the flowers from.  Some of the flowers I used were even more expensive that real flowers, but I didnt’ have the over priced labor changes that a flower would normally charge. 

Good luck with your wedding.  I will be happy to help you! 

Post # 12
508 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

silk would be fine!

Post # 13
293 posts
Helper bee

I lived in India for 2 years, you said simply it is where your fiancee grew up.  If you are so familiar I guess I dont understand your question. The British are the first to assimilate and the last to try and re-create every aspect that is not indigenous.  It is a predominantly a british trait.  I did not mean marigolds.  I do wish you luck with your destination wedding as well as everything else.  I will also be the first to apologise if you feel I insulted you by my ignorance.   It certainly was not my intent.  Weddings can be so stressful, especially on a bride and clearly I would not have wanted to add any more than you are already burdened with

Post # 14
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I don’t even think you need dire circumstances, silk flowers can be beautiful!  I remember one of my favorite things to play with as a little girl was my mom’s silk bouquet from her wedding, and silk flowers have come a long way since then!  I’m even considering using them just to have lasting souvenirs.

Post # 15
23 posts
Newbee

what about http://www.hibiscusflorals.com? do you think they could do some flowers for you? they do some incredibly high quality silk flowers that look very REAL….I ordered an orchid hairpiece for my wedding and people could not tell the difference. it was really beautiful! didn’t have to worry bout wilting or anything along those lines. plus the quality was great! they were also able to rush order it to me ……several of the bees have blogged about them. check it out! good luck!

Post # 16
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2006

We used silks in our wedding, just for practicality. I was afraid that with the heat and humidity, they would look wilted, etc. They were gorgeous, and I still get compliments when people see wedding pictures. We were able to use really high end silks that I was able to buy wholesale, and the funny thing is Darling Husband had no clue that they were silk until after the ceremony, and he was wearing one!!!

The best part for me was that I still get to look at my beautiful bouquet 2 years later, just as it was the day I got married. My grandparents were also able to keep their flowers, which really means a lot to them also!

The topic ‘Fake flowers: 100% cheesy, or acceptable under dire circumstances?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors