FALL/WINTER 2021 INFERTILITY

posted 4 months ago in TTC
Post # 76
517 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@anev:  No she isn’t. I met her in a Facebook matching group, she’s 24 and has a three year old, so it was a huge shock. 

Hoping everything goes well with your mock ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 77
517 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@latebloomerbee78:  the numbers mean my embryo is missing one copy of the chromosome indicated. 

-13 is missing one copy of chromosome 13. However as it’s mosaic some of the cells have both copies and some don’t. The hope is the “good” cells will take over. 

-1p means there is a piece of the P arm of the 1 chromosome missing. Igenomix can’t tell if it’s mosaic so we are transferring it. 

Post # 78
1859 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
@anev:  yeah, I think we’re going to go ahead and try the IUI! I asked my doctor here if it was worth trying snd she said yes for sure. It could result in a “stronger” ovulation, or possibly two eggs which gives them more targets. We’re also dealing with some sort of male factor since his normal sperm were only 1% normal morphology this time, so she said it would help get them where they need to be and maybe give us a better shot. I know it’s going to be an emotional rollercoaster and I’m going to be symptom spotting like crazy. But I think I’d always wonder if it would have worked if we didn’t try it. It at least gives us something to do while we wait for the embryos.

I wondered about my AMH and low vitamin D as well. I hope it continues to rise! Although I’m getting so much conflicting information about what AMH acrually means. The conventional wisdom is that it’s a measure of how many eggs you have left. But that can’t be true since you’re born with all the eggs you’ll ever have. I’ve heard an alternate theory that it’s actually measuring how many eggs are being taken out of the “vault” and put on the conveyor belt to mature. Which would make more sense to me. Some doctors think it’s a measure of egg quality but others say age and lifestyle is a better measure of egg quality. So I’m sort of confused if my AMH rising will mean any difference for our odds of conception. Either way it seems like it’s a good thing if it’s going up? What’s weird is the rest of my bloodwork has always been normal. That’s why they didn’t test my AMH until this year. My FSH has never been above 6 which they tell me isn’t too high. I’ve never had a follicle count done. So maybe it was just vitamin D all along.

Post # 79
1859 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@eviegreene:  I’m sorry your IUI didn’t work. Are they going to try anything different this next time? 

Post # 80
2996 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

View original reply
@Equine_Breeder:  yes it’s definitely very interesting!  I haven’t researched amh myself, but I don’t think amh can correlate directly with egg quality – as those with pcos have very high amh but often struggle with egg quality.  The AFC is done on CD2-3 scan and it just usually notes how many small follicles could develop that round.  In a normal (non medicated cycle) usually one dominant one develops and suppresses the others (but if you’re on clomid or letrozole more than one follicle usually develops).

Post # 81
2996 posts
Sugar bee

it’s quiet around here!

I’m anxiously awaiting my mock. I’m stressing about my clinic … the wait lists are super long, they are booking fets for the new year (partly because they have 99% of people on the same protocol of 4w bcp, suprefact 2w, estrace 2w, then fet so it takes 8w and with Xmas closure coming up….).  My fet protocol is none of that, so I have no idea if I’ll be able to try to do one my next cycle (which would put fet in early dec), or if I’ll have to wait until after Xmas closure.  

On top of that, I have a back up consult Nov 5 at a clinic about 3 h drive away (no wait lists for treatments), but we would have to ship embryos there and it’s not really feasible to drive 3h each way for scans etc for fet.  Also, no one seems to know if the lab is compatible for the embryos and I can’t find anyone who has transferred embryos from one clinic to the other!! The other clinic is really open to new protocols… but my current clinic is getting a brand new RE who just finished fellowship in the next few weeks (which also may help with backlog).  Anyway, I’m stressing about things I cannot change and ultimately just have to wait for my mock to find out when they foresee booking my fet (we have 2 embryos left).

@latebloomerbee78:  did you have your hysteroscopy and retrieval?

Post # 82
Hostess
9781 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

Hi ladies! I posted in the other infertility thread, but I’ll post here too in case it gets more eyes.

Officially 1 year TTC with PCOS and no pregnancies. Yesterday was CD1, so I’m getting all the CD3 blood work done tomorrow. I have a HyCoSy scheduled for next week and I’m nervous! Idk what to expect. Is this going to be less painful than HSG or about the same? I’ve never had either. Looking for some reassurance and advice.

Post # 83
2996 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@DrAtkins:  sorry you are here, but welcome!  I haven’t had a hycosy, but it sounds like a saline sonogram with contrast solution.  My mock is basically a saline sonogram, I expect a little bit of cramping from the catheter, but it’s usually <5 min for the entire procedure.

I had an hsg in 2018 and that was super painful (for about 2 seconds then it was over).  I feel like that pain is because they maximally distend the uterus in the hsg, which they don’t do in the ssg.  You could always take Tylenol before the procedure if you’re worried.  I had an awake hysteroscopy and it wasn’t as bad as the hsg lol.

Do you know what labs they are running? When was your pcos diagnosed?

Post # 84
3938 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

View original reply
@anev:  best of luck with the mock and decision making!

View original reply
@DrAtkins:  welcome, sorry you have to be here. I have PCOS too, it blows. Re: the SHG and HSG, personally I didn’t find either of them very painful. Maybe a 3 on the pain scale. Definitely take 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand in case it is. And either way, they are quick!

As for me, I’m literally getting an ultrasound right this second. I’m on cycle day 46 with no period ๐Ÿ™„ So checking on everything before I can take progesterone. I’ve been taking Orlissa for mild endometriosis, and that can throw off cycles. The tech says my lining is really thin and I have fluid in my uterus, which I’ve never had before. Anyone else?? Ugh. 

When and if I get a period, we are doing a modified natural FET next cycle, transferring two embryos this time. 3 regular medicated FETs with tested embryos that failed…. time to try something new ๐Ÿ˜‘

Post # 85
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2020

I haven’t posted because I don’t have much to report. I’m prepping for FET, which is provisionally scheduled for 11/2. Currently wearing two estrogen patches and taking letrozole. My dog has a stomach bug and is huddling next to me for comfort while she farts spectacularly vile farts. 

@anev I’m sorry that your current clinic seems to be using the same protocol for everyone and that the other one is so far away. I switched clinics and I don’t regret it but it was a very stressful decision to make; all of my options seemed bad at the time. 

@jenn9999 That info is super interesting. I don’t get that kind of detailed report. I should go back and ask for it. 

Post # 86
Hostess
9781 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

View original reply
@anev:  thanks this helps a lot! PCOS was diagnosed in 2018. I think the labs will just be normal D3 labs – prolactin, AMH, estrogen/progesterone, thyroid. All the basic stuff has already been done by my GP. I’m worried about the procedure mainly because when I had an IUD placed many years ago it was like the worst thing I’ve ever experienced! 

View original reply
@KittyYogi:  glad to hear that they’re over so quick! Crossing all of my fingers for you that switching it up works

Post # 87
2996 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@KittyYogi:  oh no, an anovulatory cycle during fertility treatments is the worst :(.  I had a few after my ivf cycle, it’s like it adds insult to injury.  As for fluid, I haven’t experienced that (no recent bd?), because it’s thin it just seems like it’s inactive and hopefully a course of provera will refresh it.  You haven’t had thin lining issues in the past right?  Is it a possible side effect of the Orlissa?  Also, I recall you travel for treatments.  How do you find travelling?

View original reply
@springtimebee:  Nov 2nd is coming right up!! Is this your first fet?  My clinic did ultimately switch up my protocol, but I had to do their “routine” protocol first before trying other things.  It took 4 fet attempts, but they did give me my son so I’m super grateful and blessed for that.  My RE has already said we will use the same protocol that got me pregnant, my biggest reason so switching clinics would be because my current clinic is so backlogged :(.  Hopefully your pup feels better soon! (I’m a vet)

View original reply
@DrAtkins:  good luck with the labs, hopefully they don’t find any issues!  I know my clinic draws for a ton of things for the original testing – are you with an ob or RE?  Has your DH had a semen analysis yet?  I had 3 iuds placed, I would probably say the cramping is worse for iud (since they are actually leaving a foreign object inside) than for any of the hsg/ssg/mock/fets, etc.  

Post # 88
3938 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

View original reply
@Equine_Breeder:  meant to say earlier, I feel like an IUI or a few isn’t a bad idea, if 1) they’re not horribly expensive (sometimes they’re like 2 grand each), and if 2) you can keep your hopes realistic.  They don’t have great success rates even with really good sperm numbers, so just try to stay realistic about it.  I find that helps me cope.

View original reply
@DrAtkins:  getting an IUD was WAAAAY worse for me!  And I agree with anev, do you have a SA scheduled for your husband?  Definitely important no matter what.  

View original reply
@anev:  Well good news, my clinic says the thin lining and lack of period was probably a result of the Orlissa med doing what it’s supposed to do, and that everything looks ready to start a FET cycle now.  So, here we go….   Doing a week of letrozole and then another monitoring appointment in a week.

As for traveling, it’s definitely not ideal.  I do a hybrid model where I do “remote monitoring” (monitoring appointments here at home and they send the info to my RE clinic), then travel for procedures.  That saves a lot of time, but there are more cracks for things to fall through.  And traveling for procedures isn’t ideal because I never know more than a few days ahead of time and it’s somewhat tough with work.  But overall, it’s doable.  I’d say if the travel clinic seems way better or (in our case) is way cheaper, it’s worth it — IF you’re the kind of person that won’t get super stressed about every wrinkle in the plan or miscommunication or hassle.

Post # 89
1859 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@KittyYogi:  yeah unfortunately I am terrible at keeping my hopes realistic ๐Ÿ˜ which is why I continue to TTC even after 3 dang years! I’m 99% sure my insurance will cover up to $3k in fertility meds and $7k in IUI procedures so it’s worth a shot. I was googling IUI success rates yesterday and got really bummed when I saw it was so low. Especially for “unexplained” fertility like we kind of have. It’s sort of popped my balloon a bit

Anev: transferring embryos from one clinic to another is literally the only reason our embryo adoption is on hold right now. It’s a beast to do. The original clinic won’t send over the damn embryo records! It’s so frustrating to have to wait on paperwork. Add in transferring ownership of the embryos and international shipping and I’m doubtful we can ever make it happen. The embryo adoption group I’m a part of might have good advice for shipping embryos, since they’ve al had to do it in some form or another. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors