(Closed) FAM / NFP Q&A thread

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I am thinking about going to an IUD and using FAM as a backup.  I haven’t done research on FAM yet though because I need to find a doctor to give me an IUD first.  I will keep an eye on this thread though.

Post # 7
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

The IUD I want is the Paragard, which doesn’t affect hormones at all.  Thanks for the book recommendation.

Post # 8
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

My husband and I are using NFP with a barrier method when it’s a bad time. We aren’t intimate as often as we’d like but we deal. What we have found is that HE needs to be involved in order for this to work. We’ve read Natural Birth Control Made Simple (not published any more, but library) and now Taking Charge of Your Fertility. We’ve been using the sympto-thermal approach. 

It takes more work that the pill or an IUD but it’s worth it. We chose NFP because we don’t want to use hormonal birth control. Also, we feel like it’s better for us to leave this more up to God than just our own planning.  By using this, we feel like we are trusting in God, not our own understanding, but we are also trying to use common sense. We’re young (23 and 22) and don’t feel like this is the right time for us to have children. Now, I know people will disagree with our reasoning, but it’s right for us.

I am not a pro, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading and studying, so I will try to help answer any questions.

Post # 9
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m charting my 5th cycle right now so I am by no means an expert. I took a class in the sympto-thermal method and I have also read Taking Control of Your Fertility, which I highly recommend.

@KLP2010 – I’m really concerned about my honeymoon as well. My Fiance and I have been waiting and I think it will kill us if I’m in Phase II then… Ok it won’t kill us, but I’ll be a little disappointed.

In regards to the alcohol and your temperature, I’m sure it will depend on how much and when you drink. There are rules that you can apply if you miss a temperature or if you think a temperature is abnormal. Also the end of Phase II (when you are fertile) is determined based on your temperature AND your mucus and I haven’t noticed anything strange with my mucus except for when I took some cold medicine one time.

Post # 10
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

Hi everyone, yep I am a long-time NFP user (2.5 years, no babies yet). I have written pretty extensively about it on this site. I use STM (sympto-thermal method).

Kate 6214 is right about how alcohol can affect your temp—it really does depend on how much and when you drink. If you get blazing drunk in the middle of the night, then yes, your temp will be higher when you take it at your usual 8 a.m. or so. But if you have a few drinks with dinner, you will probably be normal by the time you wake up to temp. Personally I do not drink heavily and I have never experienced temperature variation due to alcohol. My advice is to experiment a little. Have a night of drinking now and see how it affects your temperatures in the morning. Likewise, see what happens when you stay up a little late. I have found that really the only substantial temperature variation I have ever experienced was when I got the flu and had a 101-degree fever. Needless to say, we weren’t going to be having sex anyway with a fever like that.

So many of your questions are going to answer themselves as you begin to chart. You see your body’s patterns and start to know whether a certain sign occurring at a certain point is right or wrong for you, based on your history. To see the start of Phase III, you are looking for a combination of three days of temperature rise and the drying up of the cervical mucus. If you are unsure, you can always wait another day to double-check.

And if you are on Phase II during your honeymoon….well it happened to me and you figure out how you are going to best accommodate that. It’s not the end of the world.

Feel free to PM me with any questions too!  

Post # 12
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

@KLP: The reading sounds like a genuine disturbed temperature to me and not an artifact of daylight savings time. If you usually temp at 6:45 and the day of the time change you temped at 7:45, you really did take your temp at your regular time this morning and it was abnormally high—sounds like a disturbed temp to me from getting up so much to tend to the dog. That’s okay. If you’re only on Day 9, and seeing fertile mucus, that means you’re fertile—sounds like the beginning of Phase 2 to me.

Assuming you want to temp at 6:45, tomorrow I would just take your temp at 6:45. Any effects from the time change will settle out within 1 or 2 days max. And with springtime daylight savings, when we are losing an hour, any impact you would see on your temps would actually be for them to be artificially low, not high. Since you need a temperature rise to confirm ovulation (in addition to dry mucus, which you don’t have), if anything you would be playing things more conservatively by just taking it at 6:45 (and again, in two days your body will be adjusted and it won’t matter).

Alternatively, you can adjust in half-hour increments over two days (take it at 7:15 tomorrow and then 6:45 the next day) or 20-minute increments over three days (take it at 7:25 tomorrow, 7:05 the next day, and 6:45 the next day). This method is also outlined in Taking Charge of Your Fertility on p. 80. Hope that helps!

The topic ‘FAM / NFP Q&A thread’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors