(Closed) Father/Daughter & Mother/Son song that isn’t cheesy and played out

posted 6 years ago in Music
Post # 3
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

We did Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters) and The Rainbow Connection.

The Rainbow Connection = instant tears.

Post # 4
2135 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I really like “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong, but that may be overdone.

Post # 5
1101 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Not sure how you feel about country…. but it’s a good song

My wish – Rascall Flatts

Post # 6
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2012

What about “Kind and Generous” by Natalie Merchant?

Post # 7
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

I’m a big fan of Billy Joel! Two songs come to mind…Lullabye (he wrote this for his daughter actually) and Just the Way You Are.

You could also do the Beach Boys – God Only Knows

Post # 9
355 posts
Helper bee

We’re better together… I think thats Jack Johnson…. that popped in my head when I saw this lol

Post # 10
828 posts
Busy bee

@ssmalanga:  I would describe our and our parents’ musical tastes pretty much the same way and I’ve been trying to put together some sort of playlist that both we and our guests will enjoy. What uptempo songs do you have in mind that will get the older crowd dancing?

I’m not sure about about parent dances, it’s tricky to find songs that communicate the right kind of sentiment.

Ben E. King, “Stand By Me”

Fleetwoood Mac or Smashing Pumpkins, “Landslide”

Coldplay, “Fix You”

Jon Dever, “Leaving on a Jet Plane”

Beatles, “In My Life” – This might be overplayed as it is the Beatles…

The Engineers, “Home” – I think that we might use this as our first dance.

Of course you could always go with a song whose lyrics are about something else at least on the surface like

REM, “Nightswimming”

Post # 11
433 posts
Helper bee

@ssmalanga:  Oh my gosh, I’ve been looking for a song for the same purpose for awhile and not had much luck but Bruce Springstein’s “When You Need Me” is PERFECT for my family. Thank you so much for posing that list!!

Post # 12
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I was also going to suggest Bruce Springsteen’s When You Need Me. It’s still in the running for my (step)father/daughter dance.

Post # 13
264 posts
Helper bee

@ssmalanga:  What’s the blog you found? I’ve been on the search for dance songs for a while.

This song doesn’t accomplish both the mother/father dance, however, I thought I’d share just in case. I am really thinking of using this song as my father/daughter dance, if we don’t go the route of doing both mother/father dance at the same time.

Slow Sweet Walk With You, by Edwin McCain. http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-songs/father-daughter-music/slow-sweet-walk-with-you/75af4f425c224be6.html

Post # 14
5075 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

Thanks for posting this!  That Bruce Springsteen song might just do the trick for the bride/brother   groom/mother dance  

Post # 16
102 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I’ve chosen the Beatles’ “In My Life” for the father/daughter dance. 

The topic ‘Father/Daughter & Mother/Son song that isn’t cheesy and played out’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors