(Closed) Faux wax seals – Tips & tricks!

posted 9 years ago in DIY
Post # 3
398 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

Thanks for the tidbits.  I struggled at first with my faux wax seals but ultimately ended up with the same procedure as you.  I will say though thank goodness for the invention of the faux wax for hot glue guns I can’t imagine the mess I would have created for myself with the real deal.

Post # 5
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@ mrspaetz,
Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! I’ve been throwing this idea in my head and still am not sure if I want to do this. I’ve got plenty of time to make a decision. hehe.
My question for you is how did you deal with the issue of the seal on the envelope and mailing? I don’t plan on having a inner & outer envelope so it will be my main (outer) envelope that would get the faux wax seal. I looked a little into it and depending on the thickness of the seal I should be okay with the USPS. Did you have any trouble with the wax "adhering" to the envelope?

Post # 6
88 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I did wax seals with the glue gun and it was really easy.  I got everything at the papersource and the first gluegun didn’t work and they gave me a new one, which was awesome.  But all I had to do was smear the wax around and stamp the seal.  Even as the seal got hot they came out nice.

To mail them you just take them to the post office and ask them to hand cancel them.  The guy at my post office said it is a good idea anyways because the machines can be so rough on things.  

Post # 8
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

This information is going to be a godsend for those of us who haven’t had the pleasure (or pain) of attaching these to our invitations! I’m so glad I won’t have to waste in trying to find the perfect process!

Post # 9
21 posts
Newbee

@gerbera  also another bee (I think sonipapdi) also just posted that wax seals cost an extra 20 cents at the post office so you might want to check and take that into account for your budget!

TBTG

Post # 10
2324 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

I am a wax seal idiot I think, but why don’t you just put it on the envelope at the same time? Isn’t that adding extra steps? 

Post # 11
275 posts
Helper bee

I’m tackling this this weekend, this was really helpful!

Post # 12
445 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Great tutorial! 

We added wax seals to our Save-The-Date Cards.  We used them to seal shut the pocketfolds, which then went into an envelope.  With a full-sized magnet, postcard, and the pocketfold, the Save-The-Date Cards were 59 cents to mail.  And we did the wax seal directly onto the pocketfold flap.  We made a few practice ones to see how much to melt, and then just went for it.

We also used the wax seal sticks, not the glue gun kind.  The metal part of the seal got hot for us too, so we also used a ice pack – one of those boo-boo ones, haha.  We didn’t use oil, but I am guessing you needed that b/c of the glue.  

I did the heating of the stick and pushing the seal into the wax while Fiance held the pocketfold flap closed.  We wore latex gloves (I work in a lab) so we wouldn’t get fingerprint on the paper.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 14
5822 posts
Bee Keeper

I have always wondered how in the heck you use those wax seals!!!  I bought one YEARS AGO and tried (so very sadly) unseccessfully to use it.  Ever since then I just steer clear of them, but now you’ve got me thinking I could do that!  Where did you get your monogrammed seal from?  I love that look!

Post # 15
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2008

i made all my seals ahead of time on trays, and when they dried i just scooped them right off easily.  i used double sided tape to put them on my programs as seals..because i didn’t want the program to rip or the seal to break when people opened the program ๐Ÿ˜‰

love your tips though-would have been a lot easier for me when i made all of my seals for my wedding last november.  beautiful seals!!

The topic ‘Faux wax seals – Tips & tricks!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors