(Closed) Fear of zika… would you go?

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 31
Member
4066 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

I would go.  

Post # 32
Member
8066 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would not go, unless you are willing to put off TTC for 6 months.  And then I’d probably go.  Are you sure your doctor can test you after you return??  Last I heard they will only test you if you actually show symptoms.  They weren’t just willing to test everyone and their mom who has traveled, only if showing symptoms.  So if you can’t be tested, you have no way of knowing if one of you got it and then you would need to wait to TTC 6 mo.  I think the timeline is still 6months, so I would only go if you plan on delaying 6 months.  The side effects for pregnancy/baby are too big so I don’t think a vacation is worth the those risks.  If you weren’t TTC it wouldn’t even cross my mind to not go, but risks to baby are very serious.

Post # 33
Member
741 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Yes I’d go, but I have late stage Lyme so I’m not afraid of something that requires an antibiotic treatment. I fear ticks more. That’s a lifetime of treatment. Be safe either way.

Post # 34
Member
1052 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I would not go.

Post # 35
Member
1843 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would go 

Post # 36
Member
1115 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I would not go. Having children is really important to me and knowing its a precaution i could have taken and didn’t if something did happen I would never forgive myself. 

Post # 37
Member
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

My Husband and I honeymooned in July of this year and when I went to my appt in Sept my physician told me to wait 6 months to TTC bc of Zika. I had a friend who was told the same thing. Not what I wanted to hear, but it’s a real thing to worry about.

Post # 38
Member
1012 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I was in Jamaica for 8 days last month. Also hoping to TTC soon. We are fine! There are warnings everywhere but they also sprayed everything everyday to kill the mosquitos. Wear tons of bug spray and you should be fine 🙂 

I agree already being pregnant is way different than planning on TTC. You’ll be okay! I wouldn’t let it ruin my plans. 

Post # 39
Member
2956 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
blahblahgirl :  I’d go, given your age. I would just push back TTC at least 6 months or whatever the recommended wait time is. 31 is young:)

I am almost 39 so don’t have a lot of time to waste. Earlier this year, I would not go to any country where the CDC issued a travel warning and I would not have gone to Miami. I agree the likelihood of getting Zika is low, but since I probably only have one shot at a baby, I just could not justify the risk.

That said, I’d really love to spend a few days in Cabo this winter. The official warnings are as to Mexico overall and don’t specify Cabo. I’ve never seen a mosquito when I’ve stayed in resorts in Mexico, though. And they just changed the warning to “take precautions”. So I’m leaning towards saying f it, and booking a trip.

Post # 40
Member
17 posts
Newbee

I actually had my IUD removed today so we can start TTC, and my Dr. asked me if we were traveling anytime soon. We go to Mexico every year with family, and I let her know. She was pretty hesitant, but said that since I’ve been traveling there since I was born I may already have been exposed, and therefore have antibodies to protect me. She advised that I use lots of bug spray (and make sure my husband does as well) and to stay near the ocean instead of going off on jungle tours. I dont know how long it will take us to get pregnant, so I’m not going to put everything in life on hold. Just use bug spray and have fun. If theres some dramatic spike in infection I’m sure the media will blast it all over anways. 

Post # 41
Member
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I wouldn’t go, I would be so worried I wouldn’t enjoy myself, and I fell pregnant soon before or after the trip, I’d be so anxious while waiting for the first US to confirm all is fine (more anxious than I usually am, that’s something)

Post # 42
Member
3930 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I wouldn’t.  We canceled a trip to Puerto Rico in the months before we were TTC for this reason and I have zero regrets.  Not worth the worry in my opinion.

Post # 43
Member
370 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I would not go.  I went to Mexico (playa del carmen) on my honeymoon in September and got Zika.  Thank god we are not trying to conceive anytime soon but the risk is very real in those areas.  I strongly encourage you not to go.

Post # 44
Member
1789 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I would go and push back TTC until October. I am also in Canada and my doctor told me not to go unless I want the responsibility of becoming a statistic. Yeah the chances you’ll be infected are low, but people HAVE been infected and babies with microcephaly HAVE been born from women infected with Zika. A few more months to wait to TTC won’t hurt. 

Post # 45
Member
1570 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

We were invited to go away with my inlaws to Costa Rica for new years, paid for as our Christmas gift. I would LOVE to go… Dh said no thank you as we have been ttc for 6 months, and are scared about Zika. I asked my Dr. because I thought he was overacting… and she said no… no one knows how long the virus can stay alive in our bodies, and its believed it can live in males for up to 6 months. We chose not to take the risk.. 

The topic ‘Fear of zika… would you go?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors