(Closed) feeling like a jerk…ring regret

posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: what should I dooooo?!?!
    nothing-stop being a brat : (45 votes)
    40 %
    get a cheap small alternative stone : (9 votes)
    8 %
    wait to get a nicer small diamond ring when the money is there : (36 votes)
    32 %
    sell the moissy stone and use that money towards a smaller diamond ring : (23 votes)
    20 %
  • Post # 3
    4476 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

    why not get a diamond wedding band?  That way you’ll be able to keep your original ring, wear it when you’re not at work, but still get the diamond.  Most traditional engagement rings would be inappropriate for your line of work anyways.  Maybe something like these?  They’ll still be diamond, sparkly, but not ostentatious.





    Post # 4
    700 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2004

    i don’t think you are being a brat, but if you’re not happy with a moissanite and find yourself wishing it was a diamond, i definitely wouldn’t go with a cz. if it were me, i would sell the ring and save a little bit of money to get exactly what i wanted. if you’re not happy with a moissy, i really don’t think you’ll be happy with a cz.

    Post # 5
    705 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

    You won’t be able to sell the moissanite for what you paid for it.  Resale loss is not as bad as it would be for a diamond but it’s still not great.  You’d probably get 2-300 for it.

    I used to volunteer at the state hospital and got a $10 cz ring for work.  My ring is a 1.8 cushion moissanite and the stunt double is a .75 ct cushion CZ.  I also did not want to flaunt my “wealth” and sometimes weird things happen there–I do not have the money to replace my ring if something happened to it or if someone stole it.

    Just remember that your life will not change for better or worse if your stone is a diamond or a moissanite, so it’s not worth the financial upset if you can’t really afford it right now.  Perhaps later you could change it out for a diamond but now, since you’ve already purchased it and can’t really resell it for what you paid, it would be a poor financial decision to change something so inconsequential right now.  I wouldn’t say that you’re being a brat but I am saying that you need to find something else to do with the mental energy and time devoted to longing for a diamond.  

    Post # 8
    3451 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

    If you are that unhappy with the moissanite and it’s within the window of time you can return it, you probably should do that.  If not, you could sell it and save the money for a diamond. 

    Post # 9
    3175 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

    I’m assuming it’s too late for you to return the stone?

    I don’t think you’re being a brat, I think you should look into your options for selling/returning & get what you want (since your Fiance is on board).

    Post # 11
    3914 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

     keep your mossy ering, and get yourself a thin diamond band to wear for everyday at work. i’ve seen them on ebay for less that $300. Then get your plain wedding band for your wedding day.

    you can interchange all three rings according to your mood….and that gives you a chance to save for the diamond ring you now want.

    When you do get your diamond ering you can then wear the mossy as a RHR….don’t sell it keep it for sentimental reasons!!!

    Post # 12
    365 posts
    Helper bee

    I would sell it and get a smaller diamond.  You can find the smaller sized diamond solitaires on ebay for very reasonable prices.  Some are certified, some not…but with 100% positive feedback I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

    Here’s a few:




    Post # 14
    2031 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

    It really depends on what is important to you, size or stone.  If size is important, then I would stick with the Moissy until you can afford an equivelent diamond and then switch it out…maybe make the moissy into a pendant or a RHR?  If having a diamond is more important than size, and you know you’ll be downsizing your ring, then I would get a diamond.  It sounds like you love your ring, but not what the stone is.  There’s nothing wrong with that, some people just want diamonds.  Either way, I think your best best is to keep your current ring until you can afford the stone you want, and wear a plain band to work in the meantime.  You can even get a cheaper diamond ring now, and use it as a RHR after the wedding.


    Post # 15
    3227 posts
    Sugar bee

    @mcklough:  I understand what you are saying and you are not being a brat. This is exactly what I was afraid would happen to me if I were to choose a moissanite. It sounds like a diamond band won’t do the trick since it seems like you prefer a diamond engagement ring and since it seems like you’ve run out of time to return the moissanite I would sell it, get as much as you can back and buy a new ring. For now, since you want to keep the tradition with the plain band, maybe you can wear that to work instead of the e-ring . 

    Post # 16
    765 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

    Definitely don’t get a CZ. If you are regretting not getting a diamond, then getting a CZ is just asking for more regret and throwing more money down the drain.

    I would personally think about just getting a diamond wedding band, or anniversary band to wear to work. Or if you have the money, and you current setting with allow for a small diamond to be placed in the center then do that but make sure the setting can hold a small diamond before deciding what to do.

    The topic ‘feeling like a jerk…ring regret’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors