Post # 1
Saw this article posted on facebook via Binders Full of Women.
What do you bees think?
Many men don’t want to get married anymore because women’s gender roles have changed since feminism, but men’s gender roles haven’t. Numbers: Up from 28%, 37% of women consider marriage very important or want to get married. Down from 35% to 29% in men. The reason, the author says, is that men innately want to take care of their families, learn to be self-sufficient by working hard to be the providers, but they can no longer do that if women overtake the workforce. They are no longer providing for their wives, they are competing with their wives. Feminisim was never about putting women on the same pedestal as men, the author says. Instead, feminism took women off the pedestal they were already standing on and made them think that they needed to be standing on the same one as the men, which hurt women more than helped them. Says the author, if women want to live a balanced life between taking care of children and the home then they do need men who are career focused and ambitious to pick up the slack at the office.
Post # 3
@star_dust: Since it came from Fox News, I am inclined to think that they’re full of shit.
Post # 4
Hmmm, I find this quite interesting. I definitely think it is a competition. Many men do feel the need to be the providers for their family and if they are not doing so feel underachieved or not needed.
I am interested to know what other bees think of this issue.
Post # 8
@WillyNilly: Agreed. Maybe some men need to start looking at things differently if this is the case lol.
Post # 9
This is the supposition of one person. The reasons as to why are going to be a lot more complicated than one person can guess at.
Other factors to consider
In the 50’s men cheated without as many repurcussions, not as easy now
In the past, the makeup of our society was very different. Our socieconomic makeup is different which lends to different beliefs.
Maybe marriage is being put off to a later age for men these days, and the survey didnt include that age bracket
I would also add that it states “One of the most important things” how is this defined? does this mean it does or does not make the top 1, 2, 5? What is replacing it, healthy kids? career? singlehood? money? etc.
What was the population sample? Was it representative. Way too often these surveys end up being incredibly faulty because of bad survey or experiment design.
Not enough information for any real learnings in this article.
Post # 10
We seriously need like button on the bee, I agree with the previous posters up there. I also find it more funny then anything.
Post # 11
@ThreeMeers: Interestingly this article was actually written by a woman!
Post # 12
@star_dust: fair point! although everything I say still remains the same. Ill change my wording.
Post # 13
How about in this age of constant distraction and endless options, a lot of people (women and men alike) pretty much have a harder time committing to one option/person.
Men aren’t as subjected to the scrutiny of having to have a perfect body, perfect looks, as women are. They can be pickier. They age better. They aren’t constrained by fertility time limits. They can take their time more freely than most women feel they can.
For some it might be feeling emasculated by a woman’s income and professional prowess, but I seriously doubt it’s the root cause.
Post # 14
@ThreeMeers: I don’t disagree with you.
Post # 15
@star_dust: she admits that her population for her ‘study’ was a subculture of all of her studies. So I don’t think her sample size is accurate for an entire population. And yes, some women may be angry, and some men are assholes. She is an author and as such used creative license to write an article dictating the feelings of 30% of her ‘hundreds if not thousands’ of men. 1. Was it hundreds or thousands? I mean, seriously. 2. What about the other 70% that are excited to marry and not worried about ‘angry’ women? Once again, a contributor to Fox News should not be trusted as they’re proven to consistently skew facts to make news.
Post # 16
Oh the frail, frail ego of man. Lol. Maybe it’s that some men suck and it used to be easier to look less sucky compaired to someone who had no way to better themselves.