- 6 years ago
- Wedding: August 2014
A little background, we had children very young – before getting married. My FH and I have been together for 4 1/2 years now, living pretty much as if we were married. We’re still young (mid-20’s) and have been ‘planning’ the wedding for about 9 months now. Since we moved out of our parents’ houses really young, we planned on paying for the wedding ourselves, just like any other bill we’ve had. We’ve had our fair share of hardships, but that comes when you’re young parents with a lower income.
Our income taxes of this year, we had decided – are going to completely finish paying for the wedding. Well, now my FH wants to postpone the wedding by a year (IMO, if we do this, I feel like 1 year will turn into 2 and so on)… but we’re about 5.5 months before the wedding at this point. He’s afraid that we won’t have any money left after the wedding and will come home to our crappy apartment (he wants to move before the wedding… we have slumlords and our apartment is quite crappy, however I do not think right now is the best time to move) or will come home to utilities shut off or something drastic. He’s always been the dramatic type and can only see the worst outcomes, but I’m sick of planning a wedding practically by myself and feeling horrible because I’m ‘spending money when we need it for other things’… He wants to buy new furniture and move with our income taxes because ‘we need them’, however our furniture is not that old.
We’ve talked about this several times, but now he wants my parents to contribute to the wedding. We don’t even speak to his parents anymore because of all the drama they have caused us over the past few years, so it’s not like we can ask them. I don’t want to ask my parents, as I know they do not have the money. FH knows that my parents do not have the money too, but I feel like he doesn’t care. I’ve tried spending as little as I can for the wedding, our budget was $5k (this is what both FH and I decided in the beginning), however we’re probably going to spend around $6k instead……….. I feel like this is a good budget, and we get everything that we want.
I don’t know if I should just ignore his worries or what to do anymore. I’ve tried reassuring him to no avail. Sorry this is so long, I just don’t know what to do.