FI allergic to titanium/stainless steel. Solutions?

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 32
Member
3335 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

daaangerzone :  Thanks! I bought their rose gold one origjnally but unfortunately it didn’t work on my skin tone at all. I love the copper though!

Oh, and another option for your hubby is a wooden ring!

Post # 33
Member
733 posts
Busy bee

daaangerzone :  non-24k gold would have some traces of other elements. My friend can’t use anything other than 24k plated gold jewelry because she would easily get rash. I would get him a 24k gold plated ring, it is not as much as he/you would think it is because the gold is part is only a few microns and it will definitely be hypoallergenic (gold is the most inert element in the world).

Post # 35
Hostess
3697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

DH’s ring is Black Zirconium with an ironwood inlay… not sure if Zirconium has any nickel, but might be worth checking out. We also got him some Silicone rings, they did not work for him at all! He works in the automotive industry and any time he got any kind of oil or solvent on the ring they just turned to mush! 

Post # 36
Member
887 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Church and University

Try Cobalt too!

Post # 37
Member
1441 posts
Bumble bee

My fiance’s ring is tungsten carbide. It is also loose on his finger because he has wide knuckles relative to his finger size, so nothing gets trapped under it.

I’d double test the allergy by having him wear the ring only for going out for a couple days (no working or sleeping in it). If the rash doesn’t appear during that, then his ring is probably a little too tight and he’s sweating under it. If the rash still appears after really short periods of wear, then he’s got an allergy. You could also have him see his gp and get allergy tested to know exactly what it is that he’s reacting to.

Post # 38
Member
1724 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

So, titanium and steel are totally different metals — both they will have titanium content in common.

  • Jewellery titanium are alloys of  titanium*, aluminium*, vanadium and tin.
  • Jewellery grade stainless steel is steel, chromium and small amounts of nickel, molybdenum, titanium, niobium* and other metals.

Other metals mentioned by PP as alloyed for jewellery are:

  • Yellow gold =of gold, copper and silver.
  • Palladium white gold=palladium* + gold (+ sometimes silver).
  • Palladium=palladium* and ruthenium* (another platinum family metal)
  • Platinum=Platinum, Iridium* and ruthenium*

*considered non-reactive or non-allergic

So, he may have a titanium reaction. I don’t have a skin reaction to it, but it makes my bones ache. My next try would be palladium in a comfort fit (rounded inside) and maybe a bit narrower.  He should remove the ring when showering and overnight. Also, make sure he dries under his finger and dumps it in alcohol frequently. However, he may just be someone who can’t tolerate rings.

If he reacts to that… the issue is likely rather that water/sweat etc. are getting caught under the ring and he has a allergic/eczema reaction to it. In that case, all rings may be an issue and silicon may be even worse due to it non-breathability (this company claims to have solved that issue https://groovelife.co/).

 

Post # 41
Member
733 posts
Busy bee

daaangerzone :  For good quality (and thicker) plating, it will take years to for it to get scratched off. You can call jewelers near your area for checking the replating cost and how often their customers request it. You should specifically asked 24k gold. Lower and it might have nickel or other metal he might allergic to. Asking independent jeweler might help as well, because it seems in the US, 24k plating is a bit unusual.

Post # 43
Member
2136 posts
Buzzing bee

KiwiDerbyBride :  My DH’s ring is tungsten too. A huge benefit (depending on where they work) is that if they get their fingers squashed the ring will shatter, rather than squish down. That was a really big draw card for Darling Husband, and the fact that they’re super durable and don’t scratch. A friend of his is an electrician and got a tungsten ring because “it doesn’t conduct electricity” – *facepalm*. 

Post # 44
Member
1497 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

daaangerzone :  Do you think you can shop around and find the cheapest platinum ring you can find (maybe thinner) and see how he does with it? My husband has plenty of allergies but wears his platinum band all the time and has never had any issues. Good luck! I hope you guys find something that works.

Post # 45
Member
1724 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

daaangerzone :  I didn’t mean to soak the rash in alcohol (Eeek, ouchie)…soak the rings. Alcohol is very good at killing lots of bacteria. I would frequently scrub the ring with dish soap and warm water. Then dump alcohol over it to disinfect it. 

 

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors