(Closed) FI and I moving in together: 720 or 1022 sq ft?

posted 7 years ago in Home
  • poll: Big apt or Smaller Apt?
    720 sq ft: that's really all you need, save your money : (49 votes)
    30 %
    1022 sq ft: a duplex is cool and you might as well go all out; it"ll be good to have all the space. : (115 votes)
    70 %
  • Post # 3
    7431 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

I chose bigger, but thinking about it, it might be better to live in the smaller place cuz then you won’t have amassed a whole lot of stuff you won’t be able to fit in a smaller place…

Post # 4
    963 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

ALWAYS go for more space!  I live in 1034 w/ hubby right now and it’s tight.  Trust me…so nice to be able to spread out and go somewhere else (especially when he’s annoying)!  I’ve lived in anything from rooms w/ people (sorority) to studios to one bedrooms of every size and shape.  When I bought this place, I thought it was HUGE.  Who would ever need more space?  Well, LOL, I do!  I can’t wait to have my own house with 3 bedrooms and a backyard…storage space…oh drool.

Post # 5
    2216 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Definitely go with the extra space…

Fiance and I are sharing a 2 bedroom apartment and it is definitely not big enough for all of our stuff.  The wedding stuff is piling up in the dining area and it looks a mess.

Post # 6
    3226 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

It’s less than a year, and you know you’re moving somewhere much more expensive later…I say save your money!

Post # 7
    6892 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

Fiance and I have lived in two different apartments. We initially tried to be cool and did the “loft” thing with open floor plan, etc. Not enough storage or privacy (plus the ridic heating/ac) and we moved within 5 months…into our slightly bigger, nicer, more storage apartment. I’d never go back.

That said, I would go with the bigger one. Storage is soooo important and if the cheaper one saves you only in cost, you may be having to buy things to be more creative with your storage that will lower the amount you save and whatnot. I just know I am a lot happier having a bigger place with plenty of storage. And yes, we found use for it ALL. ha. We were shocked. 🙂

Post # 8
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Go with the bigger one.  Seriously, when you guys get in a fight, one of you will end up leaving because dancing around each other to avoid fighting gets old and is virtually impossible.  I always end up leaving to go to the gym or just drive around.

Post # 9
    1668 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I live in DC with Fiance in a 680 sq foot 1BR.  Trust me on thi: Get the bigger space.  Our clothes literally does not fit in the closets, our bedroom is always a mess because there is just no room for the stuff.  It causes a lot of stress.  Fiance and I are both the type of people that need quiet alone time and neither of us can get it in this place.   Don’t put your relationship under the stress unnecessarily.  I love Fiance to death but it would be nice to get into my book without hearing the TV he’s watching and there really is no place to go to get away from each other.  We’ve made the best of it but both look forward to moving out.  We are house hunting now.Laughing

Post # 10
    11390 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

hubby & i live in a one bedroom apt. i don’t know the size of it but its in the smaller range with ONE closet and our clothes don’t all fit if we would hang them up so we have to fold them and stack them in the closet… we are looking for something else!!! hopefully we find something soon! 🙂 (so if i were you id go for the bigger)

Post # 11
    193 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I’d say go for the bigger place, especially since it has that extra half-bath! 

Post # 12
    10366 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

Pretty much every NYC or big city bee will know that 720 is actually quite roomy and all you need. My husband and I have lived in 720 sq ft exactly for almost 3 years, and it’s been great! Do you know what not paying for more square footage let us do? Save up for a 6 month trip in Asia. Think about what that extra cash will get you!

Post # 13
    5295 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 1993

Normally I would say take the extra space, BUT – as you said, you are moving next year and with a wedding, that $1500 could be helpful and then you can move to a bigger place. However, if the $1500 isn’t a make or break issue, go with more space. You will easily find ways to fill it.

Post # 14
    624 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I say save your money.  If you were looking at a future in this place I would say go bigger in a heart beat.  But being that its only temporary and that you will have to downsize even further in a year, I honestly wouldn’t want to get too comfortable and be in for a major shock when you do move. A smaller place will make you evaluate the stuff you do have and teach you organizational skills.

Post # 15
    4354 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Smaller and save the money. I used to have a condo that was 850 sqft and though Fiance never lived there he visited often and if it had been closer to where our new home is now, we would have put off buying a little longer. It’s definitely doable! And the extra money will come in handy if you do move to a bigger city.

Post # 16
    10287 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2011

It’s absolutely worth the $150. We wouldn’t even question it. Our condo is 1100ish sq. feet and I don’t think we could manage in anything smaller. We have a spacious 2 bed/2 full bath so that 1 bedroom must be pretty big!

The topic ‘FI and I moving in together: 720 or 1022 sq ft?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors