(Closed) FI and I moving in together: 720 or 1022 sq ft?

posted 10 years ago in Home
  • poll: Big apt or Smaller Apt?

720 sq ft: that's really all you need, save your money

1022 sq ft: a duplex is cool and you might as well go all out; it"ll be good to have all the space.

• Post # 47
    1317 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I voted for the bigger place. If you’ll be living in a ity bity place after this one, it’ll be nice to have a comfy place to look back on. Plus, you’ll both be in a better mood if you’re not fighting for closet space! I think that alone is worth the extra $150 a month!

I just have to add that I’ve lived in a 740 sq ft apartment before, and with 2 adults, it was tiny! If you can afford it, it’s most definitely worth it.

Post # 48
    17 posts
    Newbee

I say go for the small apt, because it’ll be an easier adjustment for when you move next year. I’d just got buy a closet organizer (they work wonders! and you can remove it when you move and take it with you) Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 49
    151 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I think you should go for the smaller apartment.  Since you will be moving to a big city in a year and probably living in an even smaller place, you should get used to it now! The extra money you save will help so much when you move.  DH and I live in a 1,170 square foot house, but we don’t even use two of the bedrooms! So we basically live in 900 square feet and it works just fine.

Post # 50
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I haven’t read the other comments, but just want to say GO SMALL!

I was all on board for the bigger place until I saw that you’re going to move into a small place in a year. It’s sooooooo tough to downsize. So tough. Seriously. Stay small now and the transition will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier. Otherwise you will spend the next year accumulating stuff, getting used to having too much space, etc., and moving into a small place will be horrible and you’ll both be unhappy. But if you start small, it’s easy to stay small.

Just my two cents, having moved way too many times in my life.

Post # 51
    915 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

In the long run, I think the bigger space would suite you better, but if you plan to move in 11 months then I say go with the small space.

Post # 52
    1759 posts
    Buzzing bee

If it were long term, I would vote bigger. Since it’s not even a year you should save your money. I love having space, but 11 months will fly by. Fiance and I lived in a place just a bit bigger than 720 sq feet for a year and it was fine. We had to buy a few things to help with space (boxes for under the bed, closet organizers), but it wasn’t very expensive. @Daydreamwanderer is very right–it is MUCH harder to downsize later both physically and emotionally! Does the smaller place happen to come with a storage unit?

Post # 53
    43 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2011

My fiance and I live in a small space, only 600 sq ft! It does feel very small, and we definitely DO NOT have enough storage space, but we are able to save quite a bit on rent in such a small place and saving money for eventually building a house is our main priority. 

I would say you should take the smaller apartment, especially since you won’t be in it for too long. The key I think to living in a small space is to do a lot of things outside of your apartment and in your neighbourhood, so that you don’t feel confined. 

Good luck with whatever you choose! You must be excited to get a new place!

Post # 54
    4753 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

720 is dinky.

Post # 55
    1679 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I live in a 785 square foot condo with my fiance and our golden retriever.  We live small (this is a choice), but comfortably.

There isn’t room for disorganization, which is a good thing, in my opinion.  However, my fiance has a lot of things at a storage unit, which he pays about $150 each month to rent. 

I think $150 more each month for a lot of space is a great deal.  However, if you are only there for 11 months and you are very organized, give the smaller unit a shot.  You’ll have $1650 at the end if you can swing it. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. You will save more time and even more money by not having to clean the larger place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 56
    1335 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

I think the smaller space will be doable, especially since you’re only going to be there for a little less than a year. So I think it really just depends on how you think your relationship would handle a smaller space and how many things will be filling your apartment. You don’t want to feel too confined because that could stress your relationship, but smaller could be better in the long run. So just think about if you really need the extra space or if you really need the savings of money. Let us know what you guys end up choosing!

Post # 57
    181 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

Smaller! Think how much easier it will make the move next year if you haven’t gotten used to a ton of space and then have to downgrade. Take this opportunity to go through your closets and get rid of everything you don’t wear. 

Post # 59
    10355 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

I’m glad you decided! Just don’t go crazy with the furniture buying if you really are moving to NYC/Boston. To give you an idea – I live a few subway stops outside of Boston, and a 720 sq ft apartment will set you back around $1500/mo. You want that square footage in Boston proper? Be prepared to cough up $2000+. An 1100 sq ft apartment basically doesn’t exist – you’d have to move outside the city and have a horrendous commute. So, while it seems awesome now, don’t get too used to it ;-). I used to be in the “bigger is better!” camp having grown up in TX, but now – you really don’t need all that space. It just accumulates crap you don’t need. So, be careful what you buy this year, because odds are it won’t fit through the narrow historical doorways/narrow hallways of your future apartment in the city.

Post # 61
    93 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Of course more space is always awesome. Fiance and I lived in a 525 sq. ft. when we first moved in together, with a 105 lb. dog and a cat, too. When we moved to our current 785 sq. ft. it felt SO big. But of course, after being there almost 2 years, now that feels small, and I want more space. We will be moving soon and starting to save for a house a couple of years down the road, and would be willing to live in a smaller, less expensive apt to be able to save $$. If your moving to an expensive city next year, might be worth it to save up some dough!

The topic ‘FI and I moving in together: 720 or 1022 sq ft?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors