(Closed) FI didn't put me on his life insurance policy.

posted 4 years ago in Money
Post # 3
Member
3887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

You’re overreacting. A lot of people don’t add their spouse as beneficiary till they are actually married. 

Post # 4
Member
7272 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

@newcitylights:  It’s a little odd but he’ll change it once you’re married. I don’t know about everywhere, but in CA it automatically goes to the spouse, regardless of who is listed, unless the spouse signs off on it anyway. My mom put just me & my sister on a policy and we had to have dad sign off with a notary before they’d pay it out to us. 

Post # 5
Member
839 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I just signed up for life insurance at my new job, and my sister is my beneficiary, not my FI. I plan to make him my beneficiary once we are married. I don’t think this is unusual, so yes, I think you’re overreacting. 

Post # 6
Member
5014 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I find it weird that he thinks his sister would be better able to handle his finances. Don’t you two know about each others finances? My FI’s sister woudln’t even know where his accounts are…

Post # 7
Member
1722 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I’m FI’s beneficiary so to me it is a little odd but I wouldn’t be to upset about it because he has a will as well and plans on putting you on it once you are maried.  I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

Post # 8
Member
307 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

I think it’s totally normal to wait until after marriage.  Don’t sweat it unless he doesn’t switch it over to you after you’re married.

Post # 9
Member
493 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@newcitylights:  my Fi has always had me as his beneficiary. As long as he changes it when your married then I dont see the problem. I would be peeved he didn’t discuss it with me,but nothing to argue about.

Post # 10
Member
3887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

FWIW I made DH 75% beneficiary, with the remaining 25%  going to my sister, who is full-time caregiver to our mom, but I made my brother my executor, and stated that all debts get paid from the benefits before anyone gets what’s left over. I don’t want DH to have to worry about the estate if I die. He’ll have enough on his mind, and in that regard, my brother will be waaaaay better equipped to handle things. If he chooses to take that on, that’s between him and my brother, but I doubt my brother would push back.

 

Post # 11
Member
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I have my parents as my beneficiary, but plan on changing it to my FI once we get married. We have been engaged for nearly 2 years and together for 4 years. I started the insurance policy about 9 months ago.

Post # 13
Member
7982 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

We both waited until after we were married to change ours.

Post # 14
Member
839 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@newcitylights:  Because I don’t want my FI to kill me for the money. 😉

In all sincerity, it just doesn’t seem necessary to me to add him yet. I love my FI, and obviously intend to be with him for the rest of my life, but I can’t help but be practical about wanting to safeguard my assets until we are legally married. 

Post # 15
Member
2823 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

We both waited until after we were married to add each other as beneficiaries. I see nothing wrong with having his mom and sister as the beneficiaries for now until you are married.

Post # 16
Member
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

The purpose of life insurance is to help out people who are financially dependent on the policy holder.  So, if you aren’t financially dependent on your FI (ie you work, you don’t have a huge mortgage that requires his income too, you don’t have kids), then the question becomes (and sorry, this is really morbid and no one likes to think about it) who would incur any funeral or medical costs if anything were to happen to him.  Maybe he’s assuming that his family would do so, if something happened before you two were married?  Or maybe he just didn’t think about it much at all.

 

THAT SAID, I agree that it would make more sense to list you and that it’s odd he thinks his sister could “handle things better” — what?  So, I don’t think you’re overreacting, but if he’s changing it after the wedding and you aren’t financially dependent on him, I also think it’s not a battle worth picking.

 

The topic ‘FI didn't put me on his life insurance policy.’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors