(Closed) FI is Permanent Resident…anything we need to do before marriage?

posted 7 years ago in Legal
Post # 4
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would definitely just check with your local courthouse, you can probably even print the license out from your computer. It will tell you what you need present to prove identity and residency!

Post # 6
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Maybe it’s a lot different in the states, but here in Canada we don’t have to do anything different at all. My fiance has lived here twelve years with triple citizenship  and has like, some sort of card that says he’s a citizen of Canada, too. So, when he applies for a passport and our marriage licence, he does not need anything more than I, someone who was born here, needs.

I hear in that in America some of the states have different laws? I definately agree that a quick call or such to people who give the marriage licenses would clear it up. When I renewed my driver’s a month ago at this registry place in a mall, I asked them if we need anything special and they said they would treat him like a regular old citizen for our marriage lisence. I feel very relieved to just clear that up with a quick question that just took a moment. Good luck. 🙂

Post # 7
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

@TheJeanses2012: I’m a perm.res too !

We didn’t have to do anything differently…I didn’t even have to bring my naturalization card to the courthouse…nothing:)

But tell him to remember to edit his status with the state…I just went online and check my app from “single” to married. And I don’t even think they asked for a name to whom I was married!

Thats it:))

Post # 8
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I can’t imagine that you have to do anything differently.  My husband wasn’t even a permanent resident when we got married and we filled out the paper work just like anybody else would have!

Post # 9
2410 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I didn’t have to do anything differently and I don’t even have a green card so I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Post # 10
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I”m sure it’s different everywhere you go, but my Darling Husband was just a visitor to Canada and we got our marriage licence and certificate no problem 🙂 He just had to bring a bit more ID with him when we went to register

Post # 12
4 posts
  • Wedding: September 2011

I think it depends on your state. My fiance is also a premenant resident (with no desire to become a citizen.) I live in Washington (state, not DC. *sigh*) and all we had to bring in was photo ID. Our big problem ended up being when we couldn’t remember how Fiance spells his middle name. Uhh….that took us a minute. He never uses it. Luckily I had a copy of our invites (with middle name) in my bag. Phew!

Post # 13
489 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Are you talking about if there is something different to get your license or once you are married if there is any paperwork? I work in marriage licensing in Columbus, OH and all we require is photo id and passport is included with that. Afterwards, I would talk with the state department to see if there is anything needed, but since he has already been here, there shouldn’t be any issues. if he was just coming here after marrying you, then I could see him needing more. Just get certified copies from marriage licensing so you have legal proof of your marriage.

The topic ‘FI is Permanent Resident…anything we need to do before marriage?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors