(Closed) Fiance has a very large Roth retirement account, wants to split it 50/50 with me

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 16
2942 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I actually think you need to talk to an attorney, not a financial advisor.  That way you can get it all in writing and documented correctly.  

Honestly, with the ira I think you are getting the better part of the deal.  Non taxable retirement income.  When you sell your home, the profit is subject to capital gains tax. 

Post # 17
9426 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

I agree you need a third party financial advisor to look over the numbers with you. 

What Darling Husband and I did in your situation was we got a prenup that says that I own X% of the house  (where X is the percent down payment that is coming from my savings) and then the rest we split 50/50.  The prenup basically just clarifies that my down-payment is not a gift to our common pool property. 

If you or your financial advisor and attorney decide his plan is a bad deal (either because it’s not a fair trade monetarily or because your lawyer thinks it’d be hard to enforce) you may want to consider the above.

The topic ‘Fiance has a very large Roth retirement account, wants to split it 50/50 with me’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors