- 6 years ago
- Wedding: May 2013
Hello everyone! I have been following wedding bee for almost a year, and I have finally decided to join! I have a little less than a year for my wedding and to much discussion my fiance and I have decided to get married..in Sydney, Australia!! This was decided since we plan to have an around the world trip for a month (going to different places around the world) and our first destination is the land down under. 🙂 Definitely our dream come true. I was doing my best to follow the “traditional wedding” style especially because we come from two different cultures, mine being latino catholic family. However, it became too difficult with the church and distance for families, and felt the way we have decided fits us best. Though we are planning to get married abroad, we are still doing a huge celebration when we come back, still doing invitations and themes: which most fittingly it will be an “around the world” theme. I feel that since we have decided to do this plan this past week, my whole vision has easily come to me as opposed to before( I was not one of those girls who planned her wedding when she was little, lol, so the whole process was a bit overwhelming). Sorry for writing to much, just wanted to explain my situation. Now to the questions! 🙂
1. this will be a private ceremony abroad, and just the two of us, with possibly one family member who lives close to Australia (if he is available to be the witness) if not then its just us. Would this still be called a “Destination wedding”?
2. I have already chosen bridesmaids, because I thought I was doing the traditional church wedding deal. However, now that we have decided for us to have the ceremony with just the two of us, should I not have bridesmaids anymore? I know ppl have said, well if they are not walking down with you, then what is the point? but I have read some blogs where they still keep their bridesmaids. I still want a bridal party (bridesmaids) because I want my closest people to help me and take part of the whole wedding preparation, for support. Also to clarify, Im not trying to make it more difficult or take advantage of their help. HOwever, I would still want those group of girls who will help me with this big event, especially since i am still planning to have a huge celebration reception when we come back. just wanted to get some feedback on how I should approach this. I even already have an idea of gifts to give them during the reception (personalized charmed bracelets, which is a token of appreciation for all the guidance and help given along the way). I want them to stand out in my reception, can I ask them to wear clothes that are close to my theme color/flowers (blush pink). Not necessarly pressure them to get “bridesmaids dresses” but an attire that would make them feel part of the reception? so far that is what I have in mind.
3. bridal shower or not? I have heard agreements and disagreements seing that we are getting married abroad just the two of us. Also, who plans it, how do I bring it up? Im very modest and too shy to bring it up bc I dont want to trouble them or think I just want a party for presents. :/
4. I might not have bacherolette party, but if I do, can I ask some of my friends to come who are not coming to the reception? though our reception will be a big celebration, we have decided to invite our closest family (which is 70 ppl, yes we have huges families lol) and only 5 friends each. Therefore, I cant invite all my friends. Also, again I wouldnt want them to come to the shower bc I would feel bad if they think i want their presents and not be invited for the shower. but I thought a bachelorette party is more individual and doesnt require ppl to do stuff for me, just a quick celebration in vegas where I can see all my friends together. they would of course know my wedding is going to be abroad.
5. how does the registry work? how do you announce it if you dont plan to have a website (though due to our theme and beeing abroad we might! 🙂 to keep them updated). Also, I have heard the registry is different from the actual wedding present. I thought that by registering, that was meant for the wedding present? However, I have seen posts where they say registry is for the bridal shower and then someone brings a gift to the wedding too or has a seperate registry for the actual wedding/reception. Do a set a table up in my reception for people to put presents (like old school days- i havent been to a wedding since 1999 lol). So confused about this one! 😛
6. to wear my dress again or not? actually, im pretty sure I am seeing that I am now getting a dress more fitting to my theme, which is very nice, yet not super fancy. but just wanted to see what others thought about this.
7. advice on reception, I know people say it should not be called a reception bc no one was invited to the ceremony, then any suggestions? gathering? dinner party (though its going to be a bit bigger than that since we are having themed tables of the placed we went, pictures slides). suggestions?
8, what do you guys think about my theme? I feel like everything has come into its place after our decision. we are having our reception a week after we come back. each table will be themed as the countries we have visited, and will place pictures of that particular country. For gifts, we plan to make DIY boxes wrapped with map wrapping paper and inside-candies from all the places we have gone too! 😀 since we plan to go to our trip a month before our party. Any DIY ideas and websites people can share? Im also doing engagement pics with this theme.
Basically i am doing the whole reception theme, engagement pics etc, but with a twist and keeping our ceremony just for the two. 😀
I appreciate everyone taking the time to reading this, and though I know I will ultimately decide what rules and things are best for our wedding, I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions in advance. I have actually gotten a lot of my questions answered in this forum so thank you!
All the best,
-girl with too many wedding questions lol 🙂