(Closed) Finance question – I need your help & advice!

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 4
1991 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Can you give more detail about what the thread was about? Was it about comingling finances?

Post # 5
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Can you be more specific? Do you mean how you will manage you finance when you get married? How do you manage you finance now?

Post # 6
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

We are not married yet, but we have figured out what works for us. We have one joint checking/savings account and two personal checking accounts. My Fiance is more financially responsible, so he is in charge of the bills and savings when we get married! We chose to have separate accounts for more organization. All of the bills will come out of the joint account and extraneous spending will come from our own accounts.

Post # 7
10288 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I’m with the other PP’s, some more info would be helpful. =)

But as far as how we manage our finances, we have a joint checking account that we pay all of our household bills out of and 2 joint savings accounts. One is for wedding related expenses and the others basically an emergency fund. Fiance has his own checking account since he has a number of monthly expenses for servers and what not for our software company and I have my own savings account that I use primarily for things that I dont want Fiance to know about (i.e. gifts for him or shoes for me). As for paying the bills and what not, everything for the most part is auto pay and I write the rent check every month. Pretty simple actually. 

Post # 9
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We have seperate accounts, it’s always been that way. I pay for my half the credit card bill, he pays for his half. I probably pay for most of our household monthly bills, but he does all the maintenance. Every now and then I’ll toss him one of our bills and ask him to cover it though. We’ve never sweat it, it just works for us. I’m not sure we’ll ever have a joint account to tell you the truth. Why mess with a good system?!

Post # 10
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

We’ve had one account since we moved in together 5 years ago. I’m not really sure who pays for what because it all goes into the same pot.

Post # 11
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Fiance and I currently both have our own personal savings/checking accounts, and once we get married we’ll probably keep those and open a joint checking/savings for paying bills and all that good stuff. Keeping the individual ones will be nice to have for buying gifts, our little ‘extra’ expenses like coffees or shoes, and for saving up money we get for birthdays, etc. 

Post # 13
14419 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We still have our separate everything, and want to consolidate but just been way too busy to think about it.  I always thought we’d end up with a joint checking and savings, and then thought about what if we want to buy each other gifts and stuff as a surprise?  So we thought ok, joint checking and separate little savings account.  But we’d be converting my existing checking account instead of opening another one.  We already have 8 or so accounts between the two of us and really need to simplify things.

Post # 14
445 posts
Helper bee

We have separate checking and saving accounts but we just opened a checking account for wedding expenses.  We will convert the wedding account into a joint account where we will pay joint bills with.

Post # 15
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Just one account.  No seperate accounts.  SO handles finaces because he enjoys doing that and I dont enjoy doing that.

The topic ‘Finance question – I need your help & advice!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors