- 6 years ago
- Wedding: December 2012
Fiance and I are getting married in December. We are going to combine everything and go with the “what’s mine is yours” mentality of marriage. We have added each other to our bank accounts and Fiance is in the process of getting all his *auto-deduct* stuff switched over to my account and then he will close his account once that’s complete, so we will just have ONE checking and ONE savings. We also have a second savings right now for the money for the wedding. Most of our stuff is auto-paid each month, so there isn’t really ONE of us who will be more “in control” of the money, if you know what I mean.
I think we have a good handle on what has to be paid when, I did a spreadsheet with dates for the big things…… I guess my question is how do you reconcile everything?
- Do you have a old-timey check ledger and each person writes down what they spend?
- Do you each have an *allowance* or an amount that you can have each month that’s figured into the budget?
- Do you have software that you use? What do you like about it?
- If he takes out $20 for lunch, what happens? Does he just tell you? Or does he write it somewhere?
- Do you have a budget? I don’t really have a budget, so I don’t even really know what that means, in the practical application sense. I just never spent more than I made. But that’s not a budget.
- Now that there are 2 people with access to the money….. how does it not lose control? We have a bit of a surplus, but not that much – and we are paying for the wedding ourselves.
I thought about sitting down together each payperiod and doing a “here is what the next 2 weeks look like”, leaving the amount that is allocated to bills in the checking account, moving some money into both the savings and the wedding savings and then withdrawing everything else in cash. Then…. that’s what we have until the next paycheck. For Target, groceries, lunch, dates etc. Any money we don’t use….. we deposit into savings.
What do you think? Or do you do something else that works for you….. please share!!!!