(Closed) Finding a dress that is both flattering & that I love? (PIP)

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I always have trouble with empire waists on dresses. I’m short, 5’1″, and an empire waist always gives me a pregnant belly look. I love the Oleg in pictures, but I knew right away it would be wrong for me. I don’t like the second dress (I can’t stand beading! Makes me itchy.), but the way it accentuates your waist is def. good.

I would look for something with a little longer bodice and some ruching or a sash type (doesn’t have to be a real sash, just something that gives that impression) thing at the waist to help show off your waist line.

Post # 4
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

@manda21:

I think one like the first one, that is more of a slim-line than an A-line gown may look better.  Maybe the galina style is more of a slim-A-line.  πŸ™‚

Post # 5
7777 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

We have really similar tastes in dresses! I think I can see what kind of general style you are looking at. Simple, modern, a little fuller skirt. I think rather than empire, which is going to make you look a little wider in the tummy, you should go for a natural waist or slightly dropped waist. Personally, I found that I like the natural waist better on me. I’m a dress size 12/14.

Both those David’s Bridal dresses have a higher waistline. By dropping the waist, it becomes more flattering and will give you a better figure.

I ended up with the same general style as you. Simple, modern, pockets, etc.

This is my dress, Allure 8771, ignore my embarassed face and the ill-fitting sample.

Others that I looked at that are similar in style.

Mori Lee Blu 4524

Maggie Sottero Racheal

Maggie Sottero Dawn

Mori Lee 6608

Essence of Australia D1103

Alfred Angelo 2119

Post # 7
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I like the second one best on you because it is very flattering. I tried on the first one in the store and I fell in love with the dress, but it just wasn’t what I could see my self walking down the aisle in. 

Post # 9
379 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I love the first dress.  I think it would look better if it was full length and yes heels always help. 

Post # 10
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

Ohhhh I have pocket envy….

There is something immensely cute about the first dress on you. You really stand out and look very unique, whereas the longer dress makes you look a bit like every other bride.

I’d suggest trying on the Allure that zippylef posted if possible. The floral detail is really cute and would suit you! If you can’t find the Allure, then go to town on all the dresses with a cute flower or ribbon detail at the waist.  πŸ™‚

Post # 12
2410 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I think you should consider looking for clean modern lines in a different shape from teh top one. I agree that the second dress is not ideal for someone who loves the first one, it is way too traditional and yes it is figure flattering but doesn’t really pop. I think the modified a-line or full a-line could really be a great shape for you in a more interesting variety of dress than the second on.

Post # 13
1184 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I love some of the dresses that zippylef posted, they look like they could be really flattering on you. Alterations will help too of course–sometimes it can be hard to get the true effect of the dress on you when it doesn’t fit at all.

The topic ‘Finding a dress that is both flattering & that I love? (PIP)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors