(Closed) finger waves 1920s-1930s hair style help!

posted 6 years ago in Beauty
Post # 2
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

View original reply
mrsHankins:  I don’t see how a hair crimper would give you that look. It gives more of an 80s style hair look. I have a friend that does hair & makeup for a living and she said finger waves can be tricky. She doesn’t even know how to do them. Maybe if you practice a whole lot then you’ll be able to do it?

Post # 3
2392 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
mrsHankins:  Is this what you’re talking about? Here’s a tutorial I saw on Pinterest:

The Perfect Finger Wave

If you’re talking about a more crimped look like from the 1920s, you would need to do that by putting some hair gel in your hair, making pin curls and fastening them with bobby pins or hair clips. 

Post # 4
106 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
mrsHankins:  I did finger waves form wedding and I looooved it.  However I would -highly- recommend you find someone who knows how to do it. It is tricky to do, and they way she did it I can’t imagine doing it on myself without tons of practice.

Post # 5
4230 posts
Honey bee

This is a look you would probably need a professional for. A crimped will not give the look you’re going for.

Post # 6
1320 posts
Bumble bee

unfortunately, I think you’ll need to go to a stylist. Finger waves are TOUGH!! If you really, really won’t go, my only advice is to use ALOT of gel. Like way more gel then you would ever think to use;and then practice, practice, practice!! 

Post # 7
1320 posts
Bumble bee

Oh! And pin curls won’t give you the same look as finger waves either, sorry…

Post # 8
823 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

View original reply
mrsHankins:  if that’s the style you want, then you DO need a professional – specifically, one who has done LOTS of finger waves before. plenty of professionals will freely admit that they have not done many, or that they are not confident with finger waves.

do you want your hair down, or up? short bobs were all the rage in the 20s, and are much easier to style. Mary Pickford had long, dramatic curls that she wore both up and down, and are much easier to replicate. I would look up pictures of “Gibson girls” for reference, as well as flappers.

you could also look into a French Twist.

my wedding is Edwardian garden party themed, and I’m going to do loose curls with a flower crown, and a simple veil tucked under my updo. I picked a style that worked for me and that my stylist loves, so it’s a win for all of us. I know she’s counting the days until she gets to do my wedding hair. 😉

Post # 10
823 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

View original reply
mrsHankins:  if you’re dead-set on that style, and doing it yourself, then the best advice I can give you is to practice every day (or at least, every day that you can).

good luck!

Post # 11
3229 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

View original reply
mrsHankins:  Post a link to the video.  It is hard for us to imagine without seeing it.

Post # 13
301 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I do this a lot with my hair. I have short, naturally curly hair, which I think is the key to doing it yourself. Even though I was certainly blessed with the perfect hair (and perfect cut) for this style, it still took me lots of practice to achieve. 

1. Shower. Do not wash hair. Wrap head in towel for 2-3 minutes.

2. Apply Bumble & Bumble Curl Creme to wet hair. Work it in well.

3. Part on side. Allow hair to completely air-dry, or use a diffuser.

4. Once completely dry, spray Bumble & Bumble Shine On all over hair, dousing it.

5. Using a Boar Bristle Brush, slowly and firmly brush hair, pressing the brush firmly to your head. 

6. Secure hair back on one side (the side with the part) with a fancy clip or bobby pin.

I don’t know what kind of hair you have, but maybe these tips along with the instructional video will help? 

Good luck. I think, even with my expertise, I’d still want a professional to do my hair on my wedding day. 

Post # 14
3229 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

View original reply
mrsHankins:  Beautifull style for a wedding.  After watching the video I would have a gifted friend do it  or just pay for a stylist the day of.  To save money if you go to them instead of them coming to you it is a lot cheaper.

Post # 15
533 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I tried to do mine by myself, since I had taken a short bridal hairstyle course and learned how to do the finger waves, but I never got it right. It’s difficult and very tricky on the back of the head. I went to a stylist with little experience in this style and it was terrible. I found another professional, this time specialized in vintage hairstyles and she did an amazing job. It also stayed that way all night, even though my hair was very long and I had all my hair down. I strongly recommend a professional! 

The topic ‘finger waves 1920s-1930s hair style help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors