Here’s the list I brought:
1) How often are each of the partners on duty, and will I have a chance to meet all of them before I deliver?
2) What is the C-Section rate at your hospital? (ideal 10-15%–World Health Org)
3) What will we owe you?
4) At what point after 40 weeks do you induce labor with drugs?
5) What do you consider a high-risk pregnancy?
6) Will I have the freedom to walk around? Drink? Eat lightly if I’m so inclined? Choose whatever positions I prefer during labor and birth?
7) What do you recommend for pain in labor?
8) How many ultrasounds should we expect to receive over the course of our pregnancy?
9) Is there someone I can reach if I have an emergency after business hours?
10) What is your general philosophy of pregnancy care, including labor and birth?
11) How much time do you allow for each prenatal visit?
12) What will be covered during prenatal visits? How will we spend our time beyond necessary physical care? Will there be time to ask questions? Address concerns about my baby or myself? Talk about emotional issues? Nutrition?
13) Which prenatal tests do you routinely recommend?
14) What kind of childbirth classes do you recommend?
15) In 2006 I had a colposcopy and cervical biopsy performed. Will this affect my pregnancy, and if so, how?
16) If my pregnancy becomes high risk, what changes might I expect in my prenatal care? Can you give me an example of when you might manage my care jointly with a perinatologist or transfer my care to another provider?
17) Will you meet me at the hospital to check me when I first arrive? When I’m admitted? Sometime later? Who will be in charge of my care if you’re not there?
18) What do you think about routine continuous fetal monitoring, IVs, and other interventions? Does hospital policy require any interventions routinely?
19) Does hospital policy limit who’s in the room with me for labor and birth? Are siblings welcome? Are you comfortable with this?
20) Is an anesthesiologist available in the hospital around the clock in case I want an epidural or need an emergency c-section?
21) Will I be separated from my baby after the birth? If so, when, why, and for how long?
22) Can my baby room in with me if I choose this option?
23) Can my husband stay overnight with me?
24) Will you, or someone on the staff, provide breastfeeding support?
25) Would you be willing to put off clamping the umbilical cord until it stops pulsating?
26) I get migraines a few times a year. I‘ve gotten two since we getting pregnant. Is there anything I should or shouldn’t take for these?
27) We are due to travel to England in May. Do you think this will be alright?
28) Hair dye?