- 5 years ago
- Wedding: July 2015
This is a bit of a long blurb- sorry 🙁 I’ll attach an abridged version at the bottom of this post.
For about the last 3 months now I’ve been stressing myself out trying to figure out what to do for the holidays. It started back in October, when I was talking to my mom (who lives just shy of 1000 mi away). At the time, the convocation for my 2nd university degree was a few weeks away, and my parents said that instead of them coming to the convocation ceremony for the weekend they would prefer to fly myself, DH and our dog up to visit them for Christmas, since we didn’t get to spend Christmas with them last year.
Late last month/the start of this month, my parents mentioned that they could put $500.00 towards the trip, because they wound up having some car trouble that required hefty service fees. Now although it’s not even an hour long flight between where I live and where my parents live, flight tickets are very expensive- I would have to pay a little bit out of my pocket just to cover mine and my dog’s flight, let alone DH’s as well. Since the original agreement was for all 3 of our flights to be almost entirely covered by my family as their gift to me, DH and I did not budget to cover the bulk of the cost, and instead invested our savings into better winter tires so DH will be safer driving for work. Hindsight’s 20/20, I guess.
The only way that I could foresee the 3 of us being able to travel to see my parents is if we were to drive 11 hours across the island where I live, catch a 6-hour ferry trip to the mainland where they live, and drive another 4 hours to their town. We could do it with $500, but DH is leery of what the highway will be like (we’ve already had some hefty snowfalls, and it isn’t even winter yet), and he’s worried that the car could give out (she’s only 5 years old, but DH drives that car all day every day and really does a number on the tires, brakes and suspension).
The way we see it, here are all the alternatives we have; however feasible or unfeasible they may be:
1. We can hold out as long as possible and hope that we get a last minute major seat sale for all 3 of us on Christmas Eve (which could pose all sorts of challenges where we need to travel with my dog)
2. The 3 of us can try to drive to visit our families (though that will make DH extremely uncomfortable)
3. I can fly with the dog to visit my family, and DH could stay behind and work (not how I wanted to spend our first Christmas as Mr. and Mrs.)
4. We could wait and fly to visit my family later on in 2016 when flights are cheaper for the 3 of us and the $500 will cover everyone (though that means another Christmas away from our families, and I know m parents and sister will be heartbroken).
My head’s been spinning trying to figure out what to do, and it feels like no matter what someone gets hurt/feels uncomfortable. I just want there to be an easy solution- ( and maybe there is one, and I’m just too worked up to see it clearly). I guess this is mostly a vent, but I’m totally open to any advice, opinions, positive thoughts- anything 🙁
TL;DR- I’m stuck having to choose between Christmas with my family and Christmas with my DH (our first as Mr. and Mrs), and I have no clue what to do. So complicated