(Closed) Fitness Bees – share your stories & tips

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

Was there a moment in your life that prompted you to begin working out? I’ve fluctuated in weight all of my life.  I’m pretty sure it’s because I have a thyroid problem, but I have yet to go to the doctors.  Anyways, I’m tired of feeling like a big fat blob.  I was 120lbs when I met Fiance and I gained a good amount within 2 years.  I also have no energy and my body aches all of the time.  It’s been helping with my depression as well.  People are starting to notice a difference in me already.

How long have you been working out?  Fiance and I were working out for about 7 months before we stopped, but we just started up again about a month ago.  We go at least 5 times a week.

What routine do you follow? I always do some sort of cardio.  I’ll switch it up between the treadmill and Octane Fitness bike.  I will combine both at times.  Walk maybe 1.5-2 miles then bike for 4-5 miles.  The Octane Fitness bike also has an option and arm bars where I can work out my arms while riding.  It’s really neat.  Afterwards, I will hit the weights.  I alternate between arms and legs each time I go.

What diet do you follow?  No real diet.  Just portion control and staying away from fatty/fried foods.

How do you stay motivated? Looking at pictures of me around the time I met Fiance.  Knowing I feel so much better helps as well.

What tips can you share from your experiences Keep pushing no matter how hard it gets.  There’s going to be days where you’re frustrated and see no progress.  There can be so many factors as to why, but most importantly, you’re trying and are getting healthier in your mind, body, and health.  

Post # 4
3772 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Was there a moment in your life that prompted you to begin working out? I was a year round swimmer starting in middle school so I feel like I’ve been working out forever.

How long have you been working out? I have been on a hiatus due to work but I will definitely say that my engagement/knowing that i will be getting engaged soon definitely prompted me to go back into working out.

What routine do you follow?

Right now I’ve been doing elliptical and cycling along with core strengthening. I would prefer to be swimming but apparently all the pools in Pensacola are outdoors so that means they’re closed from october to april

What diet do you follow?

I just try to eat healthy. If I do eat ‘non-healthy’ food I keep it to a minimum. No more than 1x a week!!!

How do you stay motivated? A fitness buddy!!!!! and my Fiance. 

What tips can you share from your experiences?

Remind yourself that if you go off track from your diet for the day that your whole day is not lost. Also fitness buddies keep you on track. 

Post # 5
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

@MrsElopement:  great idea beautiful lady!

here are my responses:

Was there a moment in your life that prompted you to begin working out?

I was 22 and hit 260lbs and realized that I could not live the rest of my life like this. 

How long have you been working out?

Since I was 22 (5 years). But, I did go through a running stage at age 18 but it did not last very long. LOL

I dont follow a specific routine all the time. I have to mix it up. My current favorites at home DVDs are Leslie Sansone Walk Slim 5 Really Big Miles and Weight Loss Pilates. My fav things at the gym have been doing the interval group classes, step class and zumba. My friend just joined my gym so I probably will start going more often! YAY! And I just started walking (1mile each way) to a nearby park and running up and down these stairs (its a huge sled hill so these stairs are massive!). That is always a great workout that really wears me out. So, that is usually a weekend thing. 

What diet do you follow?

The diet that is best for my body and weight loss is a diet full of fruits, vegies and vegan proteins. However, this is very difficult for me to follow. I keep doing it and then breaking it and gaining all my weight back in a few days. So, I decided to start simple and start counting calories using myfitnesspal. It is working well this time because a bunch of us bees are now on there and are motivating each other! YAY! I really feel that this is a great start for me

How do you stay motivated?

This is what I struggle with and why I cannot keep weight off or loose a significant amount πŸ™ But, having a friend, someone to keep my accountable, has helped in the past. 

Dont try to do too much at once, if you are like me, you will fail. Take it a few medium steps at a time! And make it known to everyone that you are trying to be a healthy person. Most people that care for you will support it! πŸ˜€

Post # 6
408 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yes–when I was in college I started working out but quit within 6 months. This time however, I have a 3 year old, getting married in June, wanting to have another baby fairly ASAP (haha)…and I just want to feel good. My first pregnancy was really hard on me because I feel I was so out of shape and stressed out. I wanted to find a good outlet and get in a good routine beforehand, and I also gained 20 lbs when I moved in with FH. We were so happy we ate nothing but pizza and doritos and apparently I only drank soda. It was rough.

I started working out August 2012. I have lost 30 lbs so far and I’m working extra hard on that last 10.  

I don’t really follow an exercise routine as much as I do an eating routine. I try to keep to 1200 calories a day–no more than 1300. I try to work out at least 4 times a week and always take the stairs and walk wherever I can.

What diet do you follow?

Oops–sort of answered this above. In addition to the calorie counting I eat the same thing just about every day for breakfast and lunch with a variation to my dinner. For instance, high fiber cinnamon swirl Quaker oatmeal for breakfast, turkey sandwich on sandwich thin bread for lunch with banana/applesauce and a Fiber One brownie for dessert. Some kind of 150 calorie fun snack around 3 pm, and then whatever me and FH have planned for dinner πŸ™‚

I put my clothes on LOL. I also have never before been in my healthy weight range–ever. So now I am in it, I cannot stand the thought of getting out of it. I worked SO hard to get here.

Just keep going. As much as derailing sucks, it sucks more if you never get back on track. It never gets easier you just get stronger. And 70% of your abs are made in the kitchen, 30% in the gym. (a few of my favorite pinterest things!). Also never be afraid to ask for help because most people are more than willing to help you!

Post # 8
1697 posts
Bumble bee

After I had my son.

I have always been active over the last 12 years. I love to work out!

I have mixed it up do much over the years! I’ll do strengthtraining 3 times a weekusually, I have done yoga for 6 years on a regular basis, kickboxing(I own my own boxing gloves, I have insanity DVDs and Pilates DVDs, and lately I started circuit training with a personal trainer. I run 3 miles 3 times a week religiously and walk one mile (with my dogs) everyday 

What diet do you follow? 

I have to drop weight for my dress to fit so I am strictly oatmeal, veggie juice (organic veg in a blender) beans for protein and yogurt for dairy. I bought all dhole grain organic pasta and am following a veggie juice cleanse book mixed in with other good stuff.  I’m trying to eat 50% of my calories from raw organic food.

My $3500 dress is toosmall. Enough said.

Don’t eat after 8pm. No carbs after 5pm. Don’t push too hard. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Cleansing REALLY helps. Get a calorie counter app. Excersize while doing chores, do leg lifts at your desk.

Post # 9
5984 posts
Bee Keeper

@Woodstock:  great tip! One thing that keeps me from staying on track is when I eat something bad, I think, well, my day is ruined so I will just eat whatever I want for the rest of the day. then, that day becomes a weekend, and then the weekend becomes that week! Very good tip! Thanks for sharing πŸ˜€

Post # 10
408 posts
Helper bee

@MrsElopement:  Thanks πŸ™‚ Now I feel good because I will come downstairs and my son will ask “are you going to the gym?” and it’s not an odd thing, it’s a normal thing. I feel it’s so important to set a good example. He will pretend to lift weights too, it’s funny πŸ™‚ Here I am fighting the childhood obesity issue one redhead at a time πŸ˜‰

Post # 12
574 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I worked out in college, but ate like crap.  I gained about 20 pounds from my high school weight and when Darling Husband and I got engaged in 2010, I realized I was at my heaviest ever!  I got a gym membership, and during our engagement I worked out faithfully, and lost 20 pounds…. then gained it all back in the 6 months after our wedding. :-/  After Darling Husband left for boot camp, I realized I HAD to stop yo-yoing and get in good shape.

Faithfully, since July of 2011.  I’ve lost (and maintained!) 16 pounds, and am working on my last 10 or so.

I used Jillian Michaels DVDs exclusively for about 8 months.  Recently, I’ve started using the Supreme 90 Day system, and have started taking up tae bo and kickboxing.  I’ve also done bits of Insanity and want that next!

What diet do you follow?
I eat between 1200-1400 calories every day, and one day a week I go up to 2000.  I don’t really follow a ‘diet’ per se, but I eat clean/organic whenever possible.  I’ve been trying new foods, especially vegetables and new foods like quinoa. 

I listen to Jillian Michaels podcasts every week, which have taught me a LOT about proper weight loss and how to do it right.  I read books, and have motivational posters on my computer desktop.  I also take photos and measurements every month to see my progress. 

You have good days and bad days! Working out shouldn’t be about getting into a bikini and stopping.  Its a lifestyle.  I want to be kickboxing my way into my 80’s!  Try new things and get others involved in your new lifestyle.

Post # 13
5984 posts
Bee Keeper

@andilene:  that is sooo cute!

@MrsElopement:  well at least I am not alone. LOL Horrible mind set though πŸ™

@subbywife11:  do you mind sharing her podcast?! I would love to start listening to it.

Post # 14
574 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

@bestbuddies:  I get it through iTunes, and I’m not sure if there is another way to get it.  You go onto the iTunes store, and search for her, then subscribe.  iTunes will automatically download the episodes each week.  It’s so good!  I’ve listened to most of them while traveling back and forth to see my Darling Husband in school.  She’s on Facebook also, and posts helpful tips every day.

Post # 15
7902 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I began working out in earnest after my first husband told me he wanted a divorce. I just kind of had to get out of my head and do something else, so I started going to the gym more. Then, when we actually separated, I couldn’t afford the membership, so cancelled it. I then moved closer to campus (PhD student and instructor at a university) and got a bicycle to commute. I fell in love with cycling. Soon after, I got it in my head that it would be fun to run a 5k, so I started running.  I hated it at first, but now I love it. I’ve been running 5k, 10k, and half marathon races for a little over 2 years now and I’ve also done a triathlon. At some point,was rejoined my gym and started going to a class called Bodyflow (yoga, tai chi, and Pilates based group fitness) to help with soma muscle, ligament, and tendon issues I had running.  I fell in love, and got trained a year ago to teach.  I now teach 3classes a week.

oh, geez, I don’t know. I’ve always done something… Ballet, soccer, judo, something, but I’ve been a dedicated gym goer for 2.5 years.

i run about 10 to 20 miles per week and have a about about 15 or 20 times a year…sometimes many weekends back to back. I teach Bodyflow every wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I do dedicated strength training on Thursdays as well. I also hit up the random Zumba class or yoga or spin. And when I can, I ride my bike to school/work.

What diet do you follow?

I am a vegetarian, and I eat as much as possible homemade food from fresh, preferably local ingredients. I definitely eat too much food, which is why I am still 30 lbs overweight, but for right now, I’m okay with that and just want to make sure I am healthy and fit. I’m really good at buckling down and watching how much I eat when I decide I really want to lose 5 or 10 lbs.

I sign up for races. Once they are paid for, I will be there no matter what. Also, teaching holds me accountable. I have to get up and get out there and teach that group ex class.

Try some different things until you find something you enjoy and are passionate about. Give yourself a few weeks or a month before you decide if something is for you, though. I know from my own experience with running that it can suck at first and then all of a sudden, you’ll realize that it makes you blissfully happy. Also, if you are doing somethwit where distance or speed can matter, don’t let them matter for you, at let not at first. Make it about showing up and doing something, not about how “well” you do it.

Post # 16
327 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Not really. I grew up playing softball and volleyball. Got a scholarship to play softball in college so I never really had a choice about working out. I graduated in 08 and it is hard to motivate myself to go to the gym sometimes. I change my mind about 25 times and have a little argument with myself haha. The thing I hated about college was lifting. I know it’s good for you but over Christmas break and summer I would always stop lifting and drop 10 lbs. Now I lift lighter and not huge like I did in college.

Pretty much my entire life.

I like curcuit training. I do a lot of boot camp classes at 24 hour. I am also big on turbo kickboxing. I also really like making my own circuits and doing those. A few years ago I fought in a charity boxing tournament and was in the best shape ever. I recently rejoined a boxing gym because I want to get my abs to the point they were when I was fighting. 20 days until the wedding!

What diet do you follow?

Diet is my total weakness! I swear I have no will power! I don’t eat terrible but I can definitely eat better. I love sweets. Fiance and I have not had a kitchen for a few months now because we are redoing the house so I have been eating cereal and sandwhiches. As of tomorrow we will have a full working kitchen I am so excited!

If I take a couple days off from working out I feel like blah lol. I can go a couple of days without a work out but I work in law enforcement so my job is pretty activate so that helps too. So I guess just feeling good keeps me motivated. 

I think it helps to change it up. Keeping the same routine gets boring and can make people give up on working out. I love being active so I can get a workout in doing a ton of things. I play dodgeball every week, I love hiking, group classes at the gym and of course boxing. It’s like anger management and I know I burn like 1000 calories when I box for an hour.

When I workout I go HARD! If I am going to workout it is going to count. Getting to the gym is the hardest part. Once I am there I’m like lets do this! So before I have to think about it too much I just go! πŸ™‚

The topic ‘Fitness Bees – share your stories & tips’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors