(Closed) Flowers under $500

posted 6 years ago in Flowers
Post # 16
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
alishac:  I used flowermoxie.com .. cost about 300 I did hydrangeas and roses  and they came out beautiful she did a custom quote with the picture I sent her included 6 bridesmaids 3 junior bridesmaids and mine plus 9 boutonnieres And 3 corsages 

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by courtney906.
Post # 17
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2015

We’re going through the Kroger florist so don’t forget check your local grocery stores.  She’s giving us exactly what we want for half the price of the regular florist who wouldn’t even look at my inspiration pics and only wanted to give me hydrangea and daisies instead of something that would be a closer to sub to peonies (out of season for my wedding).  Hydrangea and friggin’ daisies.  How awful would that be?

I’m waiting on the final quote but she estimated between $300 and $400.  And considering $200 of that off the bat is the David Austin roses we’re putting in all of the bouquets I’m impressed.  If I’d have gone with easier flowers it would’ve been a fraction of that.  This quote is for my bouquet, four bridesmaids bouquets, four corsages and 6 bouts.

For centerpieces I’m ordering wholesale alstro and popping 4-5 stems into a clear vase with jumbo glitter in the water (pinterest idea!) which works out to under $5 per centerpiece.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by disneybrat.
Post # 18
1242 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Hydrangeas are for sure the way to go. I gave each of my maids just one stem of a white Hydrangea They only cost $30. I would not recommend DIYing real Hydrangeas though. They will wilt and die. Let a pro do it who’s done it for weddings before. They know how to hide a water bottle of some sort in there and wrap it up in stems so you’d never know the difference.

Do DIY the bouts for the men. Zero people will notice. Use fake flowers or don’t even use flowers. There’s a million great ideas out there. Just be careful – sometimes DIY is more expensive than paying $7 each for a florist to do a no-fuss bout.

You won’t be able to do centerpices at all. But sometimes florists will give you a bag or two of petals for nothing or next to nothing. It’s nice to throw them on the cake and head tables.

You can skip all the parent and grandparent flowers. Except maybe your Dad if he’s walking you down the aisle.

It’s totally possible!

Post # 19
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: TBD

YES! You can get awesome and really cheap hydrangeas and roses here: http://gallonei.com/

Juan is the best! We order for events at my worl all the time!

Also check out this DIY wedding site and APP! hundreds of DIY flower tutorials!

http://www.howtodiywedding.com/

They even will identify flowers for you!bouquetrecipe8

Post # 20
636 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I made the bouts, but everything else was from Sobeys (grocery store in Canada). 12 centrepieces, my bouquet, 3 Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets and 6 corsages came to 800 arranged. They also gave us the option of buying the flowers loose and arranging them ourselves, which I think cut down the price by about 200? 

Post # 21
703 posts
Busy bee

I literally just ordered my flowers from Sam’s club last night! Here’s what we’re getting:

• 30 white hydrangea
  • 30 blue hydrangea
  • 100 peach roses
  • 100 orange spray roses
  • 100 stems of peach hypericum
  • 125 roses in a orange/white combo pack (I think it’s 50 white/75 orange?)

I can’t find my actual inspiration pic (it’s saved on my computer at home), but this is pretty close to the look I’m going for (just with white hydrangea instead of green) for the Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets:

My bouquet will be like this:

And the centerpieces will be all the leftover flowers arranged somewhat randomly…no two will look the same, and that’s okay!

By my calculations/estimations, we should have more than enough (hopefully, we’ll have WAY more than enough…) for the 5Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets, my bouquet, bouts for the guys, and small centerpieces on all the tables.

Worst-case scenario, if we run out of flowers and dont have enough for all the tables, we’ll repurpose the Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets and/or head to the grocery store to buy some filler…but we’re fairly confident that this won’t be necessary. I’ve still got to buy floral ribbon, floral tape, and corsage pins, but my Sam’s Club order was $540 (including tax), so my guess is we’ll come in under $600 when it’s all said and done. I think a $500 budget is really doable…we just went over because I had a very specific look in mind.

Post # 22
703 posts
Busy bee

Seriously, the flowers are the thing I’m most looking forward to and I fully intend to take tons of pictures and show step-by-step progress. I’ve got a ton of family all excited to help out (We’ve heard that DIY flowers for a wedding is pretty labor intensive, so we’ve enlisted our families who are all happy to lend a hand)

I figure if it all goes well, I can post directions/steps to help out other DIY brides…and if it is awful, well, then I guess I can post a warning. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 23
576 posts
Busy bee

IMG_7166[1]

This is my bouquet (not quite finished yet) but these are all the types of flowers I’ll have to decorate with, centerpieces included. I waited for a sale at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, I got all the flowers I needed for less than $200.

Post # 24
117 posts
Blushing bee

@alishaac 

Yes it is ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have a wholesale florist near you? Typically, you can find out about them about bridal shows or with a quick google search. Figure out the “must haves”– is it your bouquet and some centerpieces? For me, I those are my non-negotiables. I want free form flowers though so between the bridal party & my aunt (who owned her own flower shop but is retired) we are going to create free form white and pink flowers for about 10 centerpieces. I am a flower person though, and they are important to me. I wanted them in the details and pictures in the foreground, so here is my cheat… Coffee filter flowers. They are CHEAP, SUPER EASY, and I can have hundreds if I want. Making them while watching tv shows late at night is my little wedding therapy. I will place them in wine bottles and hang on wires around the large pine trees outside venue. I will also use them to fill mercury vases near cake table. They are delicate. 

I am not into silk flowers at all, so these seem a bit more organic if you will.

I will tell you for the supplies, food coloring and filters it is costing me less than $20 and I have SO MANY already made in gorgeous pinks, blushes, and whites. We have budgeted $700 for flowers.

(Fi says $500, i have a few special ones i want for the “moms” hehe so I am secretly putting in the extra $200.)

OOHH let me also mention that i purchase some medium sized succulents for my patio at home depot (about 6) for $5.99 a piece and they have really take off. When they get long, I snip some off and place it in water until it roots and then I can grow it in soil. I have mini plants growing everywhere. I would like to transport some of them up for greener filler in places just to make them seem a bit more lush. I am big on using things already in our home decor ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Post # 25
771 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016 - Blue Hound Farm

View original reply
bonjourgray:  Impressive DIY! do you have links for where you learned how to do the coffee filter flowers and how to handle the succulents?

Post # 26
117 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
cherryiice:  For the succulents, we let them grow nice and strong and they have some overhang. We use a sharp blade and cut beneath the joint of a stem. I stick it a vase with some water (change every few days) in my windowsill. I have roots within a couple of weeks and then I plant them in a pot with soil, spaced a few inches apart from each other. I live in Arizona and these are patio friendly. They look amazing if you are regular about watering them. If you aren’t, they are still pretty forgiving.  I must admit that ones similiar to burro’s tail (hanging succulent) are the easiest to reproduce quickly. I do not necessarily put them all in pots. If i find an interesting oversized coffee mug, a plant will find a home in it for for my front porch.

As for the the filter flowers, there are many ways to achieve it. I have taken one way, my mom has found another and my bridesmaids do another. I love that we will have some variety that way. I do the following

1) create little bowls of food dye with water. Unless you want bright flowers, use MORE water than dye. Play around with the levels of food dye. I have only used white filters (not dyed) and some with a little red coloring to make pink flowers, and some with a little red and yellow mixed to give it a peach tone. 

2) I vary how i “dip” the filters. Some I fold in half and do a tye dye look. Some i just scrunch up into a ball and dip around in various dyes. There is no science to my method

3) Once died, I lay out on paper towels all over my kitchen to dry. This takes less than 30 minutes.

4) Once dry, I fold a stack of about 10 in half and in half again. I cut around the outside edges in a ~~~wave~~~ motion for the petals. Then I take a stack of about 5. I repeat the folding and cutting, except this time I make them SMALL!! I take quite a bit more off the ends than the first time. These will be the inside petals.

5) Still folded, I take a quick snip to the triangle shape of the filters, making a pinhole essentially, to the center of each flower.

6) At this point, you can take a floral stake (my preference) or if you want the flowers to be flexible, just use wire and feed it through the coffee filters with the big ones first and the small ones on top because they will be in the center. 

7) How do i say this? “SMOOSH” the first filter on top against the stake or wire. Take the second layer and do the same. You must do this each filter by each filter. Eventally it will all be smooshed together and look like a hot mess. You are on the right track here.

8) You will need to “tie” off a piece of the wire making the bottom piece of the flowers stay to the stake or wire. Don’t worry if it isn’t pretty. You can wrap floral tape around this later to cover it.

9) Now is the fun part. Beginning with the outside filters, start fanning them out until you have the flower you want. 

Post # 28
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

View original reply
alishac:  I would absolutely use her again, I received my flowers thursday am, I cut them and watered them longer but the actual cutting took 2 hours at max to complete that part i also did that part by myself so it could def go faster if you had another persons help. Friday after rehearsal my sister and i put them together and once again if you had more people it could go faster. The only thing is i did have to change a couple of hydrangeas out because they were getting a little droopy but i did have quite a few extra.. When i get professional pics ill try to post some

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by courtney906.
Post # 29
576 posts
Busy bee

I put it together a little in the store just to see how I liked everything before I bought it. The hardest part was cutting the stems which took just a few seconds for each flower. It wasn’t hard at all.

Post # 30
771 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2016 - Blue Hound Farm

View original reply
bonjourgray:  agh, I’m so lost! Lol, hopefully there’s a YouTube tutorial out there, cuz I’m totally not understanding the “smoosh” part

The topic ‘Flowers under $500’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors