- 6 years ago
Regular poster going undercover here…
So, a bunch of pretty awful things happened in the last month, and as a result, my Future Mother-In-Law is currently residing on my couch. She came to stay with us last month for about a week, and by the end of the week, I was pretty close to actually tearing my hair out! Then she left for a while, now she’s back again and should be leaving Monday afternoon – but I really need some tips on how to survive the weekend.
Future Mother-In-Law is a lovely person in general, and I genuinely like her. She’s also going through a very difficult time right now, so I am honestly trying my best to be patient. But having her here is really making me kind of stressed and crazy! It’s like, a sum of the following things which I know objectively are not that bad but are just adding up to a big giant “ARRGH!”:
– Fiance and I live in a very, very small one bedroom apartment. With Future Mother-In-Law on the couch, we have to sleep with the door to our very, very small bedroom closed for a little privacy. It gets SO hot in there with the door closed, and the cats scratch and yowl all night to get in or get out. Needless to say, I’m not sleeping very well.
– Future Mother-In-Law talks twenty four hours a day. She talks and talks. She tells the same stories over and over. I am the kind of person who really needs quiet time, especially after coming home from work. Fiance and I usually chat briefly when I get home, talk over dinner and then spend the rest of the night leaving each other the hell alone except for little bits here and there. I’m just not used to so much talking!
– FMIL’s feelings are hurt really easily. For instance, we’re eating freezer burned chicken wings for dinner tonight (that have been in her freezer for God knows how long) because neither Fiance nor I have the balls to tell her they look kind of gross and should be tossed. Admittedly, I’m the more picky one – Fiance isn’t as grossed out as I am – but it’s like this with lots of stuff. She’s asked 20 times today if I mind that she’s there. YES I MIND! I’m letting you stay here, isn’t that good enough? Do I also have to pretend that I’m thrilled about it? Which brings me to my next point:
– She has another place she could be staying right now. Honestly, I’m not a monster, if it was us or the homeless shelter, I’d suck it up a little more. But I am not thrilled I’m going to have a whole weekend of sleepless nights and forced chatter just because she feels more comfortable on our couch instead of the other (totally clean, safe, not bad at all) place she could be.
– I have a pretty rigid personality. I like the be the boss of myself. I know it sounds dumb, but I want to make what I want for dinner! I want to go where I want on the weekend! I want to lie around in my underpants and watch Four Weddings without being interrupted every five seconds! And for some reason, compromising with Fiance feels different than compromising with Future Mother-In-Law. I don’t know why. Maybe tru luv, maybe we just tend to want the same things, maybe Fiance is just better at letting me do my own thing. But I feel like a total five year old, like “I don’t wanna do that, I wanna do this!!!”
I am trying really hard not to be such a grumpus about this weekend, and trying very very hard not to let her see my aggravation, but I’m sitting here at work DREADING going home and I’m wondering if you guys have any tips for helping me make it through the long weekend! Also, feel free to call me a jerk and a bad future daughter in law. I can take it! 🙂