Post # 1
Since it’s currently being brought up 🙂
I’m not a fan when people make up “allergies” when it comes to events and food. If you have a lactose intolerance and do not have an allergy, you are not allergic to milk and all products that might have milk proteins, as an example.
I’ve been put into funny positions though. I thought I had a shrimp allergy. Testing has come back negative, but it’s gotten worse where small amounts cause a reaction. I just called it an allergy. I have other food allergies that I had assumed before, did basic avoidance, was told to go ahead and eat them and now 2 doctors want me to avoid trace amounts. I am asked at least 2 times every time I mention it at restaurants if it’s severe. I don’t know, my doctor’s don’t know. It might be like my last reaction, an entire dish to make me feel a little uncomfortable, or a trace amount might cause my airway to close up.
How do you deal with these grey areas?
Post # 3
I think if it will have a serious adverse reaction, calling it an allergy is fine. If your airway gets blocked, tell them it’s severe enough that trace amounts could swell your airway shut.
I get annoyed when people say they’re allergic to things they don’t like. In your case, you have a physical reaction to something in the shrimp, and it’s not something to mess around with. If you just didn’t like shrimp and said it, that would bother me.
Post # 4
@abbie017: you have a physical reaction that is unpredictable, so you avoid it. While it’s more complicated than an allergy, it’s understandable to have that dietary restriction.
Post # 5
Thanks for the feedback! I just find the grilling odd. If someone says they are allergic to something, especially a common allergen instead of asking if x is in the dish or something I just assume it’s serious. I’m not a fan of the grilling (ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration) 🙁
I especially feel bad when Darling Husband orders something with it!
Post # 6
If it’ll hurt you say it’s an allergy bc that’s the only way to ensure you won’t be served it, accidentally or not. I have this issue with aspartame and other artificial additives. I don’t have an allergy in that I will swell up and potentially suffocate but for some reason it makes me break out in a fever, gives me a migraine from hell, and I will typically throw up almost non stop until they inject me with something in the ER. Once I even passed out after accidentally drinking diet coke (all this tends to happen within 20min to an hour after eating or drinking it). I call it an allergy.
Not liking something though? Not an allergy.
Post # 7
A food allergy is different than a food preference.
If I host something at my home I will take into account food preferences to an extent. If someone doesn’t eat pork I will make sure the entree is not pork, but I will not use a substitute meat for all of the side dishes because it tarnishes the integrity of my dishes.
We don’t have a food allergies, but my husband has food sensitivites such as lactose. He will skip things I make for him, but he won’t make it a big deal when we eat out. Either he will pass on what’s offered or be polite and take a bite.
Post # 8
Oops I missed something. I USED to call the shrimp an allergy, before the testing and after when picking it out of food wasn’t good enough, because it’s what I honestly thought although it was weird that lobster & crab were fine. Now I refer to it as an intolerance.
Post # 9
Im guessing that when people ask about severity, what they might mean is “Are you safe to eat food that has been prepared in the same kitchen as your allergen”. They may be worried that a trace amount of accidental cross contamination may cause a major reaction.
What I hope they don’t mean is “If it’s a mild reaction, can’t you just suck it up and have a little”. That would be very rude. Plus, allergies can tend to get more severe with repeat exposures, so what just gave you a rash before could send you into full blown anaphylaxis the second or third time you try it.
I recently found out I have coeliacs disease. I don’t have terrible symptoms after eating gluten, only fatigue, but I know it’s causing internal damage. (and putting me at risk of malabsorption, anaemia, osteoporosis and lymphoma in the long run). If someone were to ask me ion a restaurant I f it was severe, I’d probably tell them that it could make me very unwell, because I want them to take me seriously – I don’t want any carelessness because it won’t cause much symptoms anyway.