(Closed) For anyone who designed/printed their own invitations & other stationary…

posted 6 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
2815 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I used MS Publisher to do our invitations.  We are letterpressing them, so I ordered a plate from Boxcar Press.  If you just want to print them, you could either do it yourself or go to Kinkos (or similar place).  Then whatever extras you want, you can buy online or find at a craft store.  🙂  I highly recommend something like a Cricut (or Sizzex).  Good luck!

Post # 5
1014 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I used to design and print stationery in SF, and I worked with customers who wanted to DIY as well, so I can give you some general info. 

Designing: If you have a PC, you can design your invites in Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word, or even Power Point.  If you want specialized invite printing software, Printing Press by Mountain Cow is a really easy program, and even has a built in envelope addressing system.  The program’s between $30 and $100 depending on the version.  If you have a Mac, you can design in Illustrator or Pages (smiliar to MS word, but easier, haha).  You can buy images or design motifs through websites like Veer.com, which charge a fee for the use of the image.  The fee is variable from a few dollars to $50+.  Or you can use CD-Rom books like those from Dover Publications, which have themese like Ornate Frames, Birds, Decorative Ornaments, etc.  These CD-Rom book sets usually run around $20, they’re copyright free, and have hundreds of images per book.  You can also buy fonts from $20-$100+ from veer.com and myfonts.com.  Free fonts are available from dafont.com and fontsquirrel.com

Printing: Ink Jet printing will probably be your easiest for at home printing.  I love Canon Pixma’s, which run from $75-$300, depending on the model.  The colors are crisp, the inks are sold individually, and cardstock and envelopes can be fed through easily.  The only downside is that you can’t print on metallic papers.  If you want to print on metallic stock, you have to use a laser printer or have your work professionally printed.  Laser printers for home use are expensive, at least $400+, and can get much pricier if you wanting a Color Laser.  You can have your work professionally printed by a local printer, usually by a flat printing method, but this will be more than printing at home, obviously, and you may  be limited in what type of paper they will print on.

Paper: My favorite resource for paper and envelopes is http://www.envelopperinc.com  I like them because they have paper, cardstock, pockets, inner and outer envelopes, folders, tags, place cards, belly bands, folded cards… basically anything you can think of, all available in their full range of colors.  They have favor boxes and tagss, and have customization options, too, like hole punching, scoring, and custom cutting.  I especially like their euro style envelope flap, and the fact that you can get free shipping.  There’re a few other sites for paper, too, like cardsandpockets.com envelopemall.com but I haven’t been as pleased with their products.

Please let me know if you specific questions, as I’m always happy to share what I know.  Good luck to you!

Post # 6
243 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

this was so helpful! I’m looking into making my own programs and seating tags! thanks much!

Post # 7
3081 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@simplifiedbride: Wow what a super helpful response, thanks from me too!

Post # 8
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I designed all of my paper projects using iPages on my Mac and MS Word on the PC. I printed at home from my Canon Pixma and the inks and quality came out perfect! I ordered all of my paper from cardsandpockets.com. I made my own pocketfolds and the like. So what my guest recieve will be all handmade from me. From beginning to end. 

Post # 9
437 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@simplifiedbride: Wow this was super helpful! Thanks for sharing all the info! I too have been looking into DIY invitations!

Post # 10
1917 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I designed my invitations on photoshop, but am having them letterpressed.  Having worked at a stationery shop, I would recommend that you get them professionally printed unless you have paper that will easily feed through a laser printer.  To me the quality of inkjet printers really varies on high quality paper and the money I paid for digital printing was totally worth saving myself the hassle.

Post # 11
1327 posts
Bumble bee

I did my save the dates on photoshop. My Invitations I am doing mostly by hand but the writing will most likely be done on photoshop or MS word.

Post # 12
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

I did ours in Publisher and printed them on white cardstock on our home printer. It worked out really well. Be aware that if you do design them on your own and wish to print them elsewhere – the ink conversion is not always perfect and colors may come out differently!

Post # 15
630 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

My Dad works at a printing company, so we printed them there. They had a built-in program that we used to custom design everything and it was no extra charge.

Post # 16
1014 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

You’re welcome, ladies!  Feel free to PM me if anyone has more specific or detailed questions.  Always happy to share.

The topic ‘For anyone who designed/printed their own invitations & other stationary…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors