(Closed) For anyone who has a child (or FI does) and changed their name through the COURT

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

Your’s and your fiances situation is very unique. When I divorced my ex, I kept his last name specifically for the children. It makes things much easier if mom and kids have the same last name. If I was your fiance, even though I hate the last name, I would still keep it for the child’s sake. If the daughter is mature enough, her mom might want to ask her what she thinks about the name change. The birth certificate will always read the way it does now. If the last name gets changed, the name change document may also have to be used for certain things.

Post # 5
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

No change is necessary on the DD’s birth certificate to reflect the mother’s change of name.  Basically, the birth certificate reflects the parents’ names at the time of the child’s birth, and is not changed to reflect any changes of names the parents may have thereafter.

If a situation ever arose in which your Fiance had to prove she was the mother, she could show the court order changing her name, along with the birth certificate.  As you have already experienced, though, it is rarely necessary to prove your relationship to a child.  If you walk in with a child to a school, doctor, etc. and say this is my child, they seldom question it.  I have never had the same last name as either of my children, and it has never been an issue.

The topic ‘For anyone who has a child (or FI does) and changed their name through the COURT’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors