- 4 years ago
A bit random, given my last post, but I figured I would share.
I am doing my own makeup for the wedding and, armed with numerous MUA and Sephora girl pals, have been test driving various foundations and such in natural, indoor, filtered, and flash lighting.
I learned a lot about base that way. Ask me about skincare, nails, eyemakeup: I am golden. Foundation was — and still somewhat is — a confusing mess to me. I don’t get it. At all.
1) High definition bases look awful in flash. Second skin real in Real Life, but shimmery plastic no on film.
2) Yellow based concealers photograph oddly and do not hide dark bits well. Salmon-y pink, oddly, works like a charm. Cinema Secrets makes a “corrector” palette that will hide just about everything for under $30.
3) Cost != performance. I tested Bobbi Brown, Illamasqua, Tarte, Smashbox, Revlon, M.A.C., YSL, Benefit, and Clinique. The two best? Revlon Colostay (by a wide margin) and Illamasqua Skin Base.
4) Clear lipliner. Get one. MUFE, Sephora, and No Bleeding Lips all make ’em, and they are magic. They extend even longwear matte shades by an hour or two and even keep OCC Lip Tars from bleeding.
5) Lash extensions will not last if you use moisturizer, an oil based makeup remover, or have oily skin.