Post # 1
I’ve been living with my SO for about 3.5 weeks now, but it was discussed for months before it actually happened. I had a house that I was renting and he had a house that he actually owns, which happens to be right by my work, so I moved into his house. I know he’s having a tough time financially with all of his bills but he fights me everytime I try to give him more money then what we agreed on for my portion of the bills. I feel like since we share the house and the utilities and the cable, etc. that I should pay half but he won’t let me. I *MIGHT* be paying 25% of it all now and I had to talk him into that. So I was just curious how other couples are doing it? Do you split the bills 50/50 or what?
For the record, we make roughly the same amount each month.
Post # 3
He paid rent ($650 & gas for his car) & I paid utilities, food, and gas for my car. It came out pretty even.
Post # 4
Usually we split 50-50.
But right now he is taking care of the mortgage and i’m going everything else. Once we are married i want to just pool all our money together.
Post # 5
We split everything 50/50 right now.
Post # 6
Our money just goes into the same checking account and we pay the bills.
Post # 7
We split rent, car insurance and cell phone. I pay my car payments and my credit cards. He pays all utilities and his bills.
Post # 8
FH and I bought a house in July…
Other random things we do…
Most of my pay is used up for bills.. Feels like I’m missing a few on my end…
Post # 9
So how do I convince him to let me pay more? When I moved in we added internet to his cable bill. Don’t ask me how he lived with no internet before… lol. I offered to pay for the internet since I was the one who wanted and he won’t even let me do that! He’s considering letting me pay half of it though…
Post # 10
we spilt it in proportion to our income. Right now bills are spilt 60/40 with him paying 60% on the total cost and me paying the remaining 40%.
Post # 11
- Wedding: June 2013 - Country Club
I pay about 25%… he makes a lot more than me. If I bring home a check from work (for 2 weeks) with $450, he’ll bring home a check for one week with $625. :/ So it’s hard for me to pay for half of everything when I don’t make nearly as much as he does.
Post # 12
We don’t officially live together but Fiance spends most nights and my house. I pay all the bills – mortgage, HOA, cable/internet, gas, electric. He buys most of the groceries and anything the animals need. He gives me $60/week and now that my ring is paid off, I will be putting his money into an account for wedding bills.
Post # 13
For the longest time I paid like 99% of the bills, as he was in between jobs. Even when he was working, I paid 85%. (I make significantly more)
Nowadays, it’s more like 75%/25%. I still make 4x more.
Post # 14
We pretty much split everything 50/50 but he also paid for groceries and going out. I think it all depends on your financial situation and how much money each of you makes.
Are you getting engaged soon? Or thinking about marriage? Once marriage is on the table, you both don’t really need to worry so much about “his” money and “her” money, since you will be sharing everything.
Post # 15
- Wedding: September 2014 - Lodge
Our money goes into the same account for bills etc. So we share 50/50. Both of us have a seperate savings that we each put the same amount in each week so that’s our spending money. He buys what he wants with his savings and I buy what I want with mine. So far it works for us.
Post # 16
Once we moved in together, we combined our finances, so we both pay both.
A friend of mine has a good idea, though. She and her Fiance have one joint account that all the bills are paid out of. When each of them gets paid, they put the same percentage of their paychecks into the account.
Example: Dick makes $3,000/month and Jane makes $4,000/month. Their monthly living-together expenses are $2,100. If they each contribute 30% of their earnings, Jane would contribute $1,200, and Dick would contribute $900. Err on the side of contributing too much, and anything left over can be used for joint ventures, like dates 🙂