(Closed) foreign degree – can i still get into teaching?

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
1458 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@maxfluffy:  Different states have different teaching requirments. Usually, you need to have completed a teacher preparation program (~1 year). There are alternate routes, however.. I had a BS/PhD in science and joined Teach for America and could start teaching right away. There are also teacher residency programs that provide a year of training before you start. You may be able to get an emergency license to teach in a high-need school, but this would require that you meet all licensure requirements by the end of the year. 


Edit – after reading comments, I should clarify that I’m talking about public schools. Where I’m at, charter schools have similar requirements to public schools, but private schools don’t require a teaching license. Since you won’t have teaching experience, it might be harder to get in as a teacher, but not impossible! I interviewed at a couple private schools and got weird looks since I had zero teaching experience. Have you tutored or volunteered in a classroom before? 



Post # 4
1018 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@maxfluffy:  Many private schools and charter schools do not require a teaching license. I would recommend looking into it :).

Post # 5
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Private & charter are your way to go. I’d start with researching schools with particular “themes” – for example, I worked at a law-themed charter school with two lawyers as teachers who taught constitutional and criminal law. You could also try getting on the substitute list and meeting people at these schools to have an in.

Post # 6
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Are you talking about university teaching, or grade school teaching? Universities don’t require a US teaching degree, but lower level public schools do require a teaching license. Private schools do not (but may prefer it).

Post # 7
1345 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church

None of my teachers in private school had teaching degrees — they all had degrees in the fields that they were teaching.

Post # 8
1326 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

The problem is that private and charter school teachers are typically paid much less. I think it varies by state as far as licensure requirements. In IL you have to have a bachelors degree and teaching certificate

Post # 9
26 posts

It’s funny because I wish that I had the mental aptitude to learn the math needed for a business degree, but I teach….why do you want to leave the business world??

Anyways you will probably need to be put in a teacher certification program. They vary on how long it takes, I did mine entirely online. After that you could probably get certified in a business area and would be able to teach BCIS, which is a cool job. Your degree being from out of state will not matter. 

The topic ‘foreign degree – can i still get into teaching?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors