- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2014
Ok, so as many of you might know, I’m an attorney in NY and I’m moving to SC. I’m supposed to get admitted sometime in Sept and I have been applying for jobs without luck, possibly because I don’t have a SC address, or because they hate Yankees, but probably because of the address.
My Fiance wasn’t working very much the past few months so we have VERY LITTLE in savings. His boss just finally got him to work full time again, which is helpful because we can live off one salary and save the other for the move.
My Fiance and I live w/ my parents to save money on rent (so expensive in NY) and they have the house that we live in leased until mid-Nov. I already knew that there was a 99% chance that my parents were not renewing the lease and so Fiance and I were looking at getting a place in SC starting Nov 1 and I was going to quit sometime in Oct and we were going to head down.
Well, just yesterday my mom decided that she has someone who is interested in renting the house… like, now. Basically, school starts Sept 5 and she wants to put her kids in this school district and move in for the school year. My parents are afraid that they put a 1-1/2 month security deposit on the house and that if they don’t rent it out for the landlord, he won’t return the deposit (he has to since there’s no damage, but we’re not going to go to court over this, even though its a few thousand). So, they’re planning to show her the house, but my mom is pretty certain that the woman wants it.
And so, I’ve just been informed last night that I might have to move out by like Sept 10 or something. That barely even gives me 2-weeks notice for my job!!! And I won’t leave w/o giving 2 weeks notice especially when I don’t have another job lined up.
This COMPLETELY throws our plans off. We have no idea if we should just try to find a sublease in NY and stay here or just move down without either of us having a really secure job position. My Fiance doesn’t even know yet if he’s passed the bar. However, he has a friend there who would probably hire him as a paralegal for some time until we get ourselves together and Fiance gets admitted (if he passed, probably Nov).
I’m a little scared because I don’t know what the “right” move is. Do we just go and hope for the best? Or do we stay here until around Nov-ish so we can make some more money before we move, even though it’s going to cost us so much more to live here?
I don’t know if you bees have the right answer.. but I’m just really frustrated that my parents threw this at us at the last minute (I can’t really be mad at them though, they have to do what is best for them and this move would be best for them, so I’m not mad at them, just frustrated at the situation).. and I’m scared/nervous that my Fiance and I will be jobless in another state and end up having to turn around and come back b/c we have no where else to go. 🙁