(Closed) Free Harvard Tuition for Incomes Less Than $60,000

posted 7 years ago in Career
Post # 3
690 posts
Busy bee

I like the general idea behind it!  But to get free tutition?  Lots of people with families who make more than 60K per year have to take out student loans.  Those students will end up subsidizing the other student’s tutition.

It would make more sense to me to have heavily reduced tutition for low income families, and make it easy for them to get student loans to make up the remainder.

Post # 4
283 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

As someone from a family who made far less than $60k/year, I have $50-60k in student loans — even after the low interest loans and grants from the government. My college was the most expensive of my options, but a school like Harvard never even popped up on my radar because I knew I would’ve been paying off my debt for the rest of my life.

I think we should complain about the insulting free rides that are handed out to people who are capable of playing a sport (often times regardless of academic fortitude) before we gripe about helping the less fortunate receive the education they deserve.

Post # 5
2398 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

@TealaB:  Not really.  Harvard pays for this out of its endowment.  Which is massive, and the endowment consists entirely of donations.  Tuition goes to cover operating costs.

@Sunshining: Amen, sister.

Post # 6
981 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Harvard has a super generous financial aid policy for all students. No one is footing the full bill unless they actually can afford it.

Post # 7
3758 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@Sunshining: “I think we should complain about the insulting free rides that are handed out to people who are capable of playing a sport (often times regardless of academic fortitude) before we gripe about helping the less fortunate receive the education they deserve.”

Exactly!

Post # 8
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Most ivy leagues have a policy similar to this, actually. Wish it had been around when I was applying to undergrad – I would have qualified!

Also, they give a substantial amount of financial aid to families up to a pretty generous yearly income, so it isn’t like you lose out completely if your family makes, say, $65,000 a year.

Post # 10
5096 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Although this is all true, it’s worth noting that that announcement is several years old. Summers hasn’t been the president since, like, 2006 or 2007.

Post # 12
2742 posts
Sugar bee

Well, not to be a Debbie Downer but it’s not like a lot of folks whose parents earn 60k make it into Harvard in droves…just sayin’

Post # 13
6351 posts
Bee Keeper

Damn where was this when I went to college?

Post # 14
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

I think this is great. Hopefully there will be some reforms in education finance that will help college hopefuls from middle class families (who still cannot afford ivy league educations for their kids) as well.

Post # 16
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

What about the students from high income families whose parents don’t believe in paying for their college tuition? 😛

The topic ‘Free Harvard Tuition for Incomes Less Than $60,000’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors